Farewell To the Pope

Looks like the old bird kicked the bucket sometime this afternoon. Tis a shame. I'm not Catholic, so it doesn't mean much more to me than just another person who has died, but I know there are Catholics all over the world feeling a great sense of loss and mourning.

I remember just before he was elected to the position (or whatever it's called when the choose a new one) that the three before him all died within a few months of each other. Pretty strange time that was.

Ya know, it's just a thought, but after seeing how frustrated he was with not being able to speak during Holy Week, I just wonder if he willed himself to die?

I'd say he was one of the more outspoken Popes, and made a lot of changes for the Catholic church. Some that were long overdue, and some that brought a lot of separation and anger from older Catholics around the world. It'll be interesting to see what the next one will bring to the pointy hat.

Guess we'll have to wait for the puff of white smoke to find out, huh?

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Fan issues

I heard on the radio yesterday that they have a special silver hammer that they hit him with to make sure he is dead before changing the smoke from white to black. There's your useless Pope trivia for the day.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Politics, religion, and her

Did you know that he's (was) the first "non-Italian" pope in a zillion years? I'm with Sparky - basically just another good man gone.

RE: Traildamage.com

So, I guess if a non-Polish Pope is chosen, we can no longer respond with tthe saying: "Is the Pope Polish?"

Sad to see JP go. He seemed nice enough.

I've been reading the newspaper and watching reports on JP. He really was quite a good pope! There were some things I remember him doing, but a lot of it I didn't know about. He and a bunch of his friends were picked up by the Nazis after Germany invaded Poland, his friends were sent to concentration camps but he was released to go back to work in the quarries. I remember him being shot, but don't remember him visiting his attacker in prison. At the time, I was shocked that anyone would want to kill the pope, but I was young and naive then. Now it makes a lot more sense that some religious/political zealot would want him dead. He stepped on a lot of toes in the name of peace.

TC, that wouldn't be Maxwell's Silver Hammer, would it?

Sparky-Watts said:

I really wasn't trying to make a joke about it, I just find it fascinating how many traditions the catholic church has and how true they are to them. I don't know what the hammer is called but I did think of that song when I heard the story.
:oops:

He was a very integral part of the downfall of communism, he helped organized the Polish workers and who were the main force that drove out the Soviets from Poland.

TwistedCopper said:
Sparky-Watts said:

I really wasn't trying to make a joke about it, I just find it fascinating how many traditions the catholic church has and how true they are to them. I don't know what the hammer is called but I did think of that song when I heard the story.
:oops:

He was a very integral part of the downfall of communism, he helped organized the Polish workers and who were the main force that drove out the Soviets from Poland.

I didn't see it as a joke. I'm curious now, though, if that's what the song may be about. I'll have to do some research now to find out, or it will bug me all day! :lol: Now I can't get that song out of my head, either! :lol:

Yeah, those were some of the things I was aware of, as far as him helping to dismantle communism, but I didn't realize the extent of his works there and how integral he was in that. Truly, the more I read and learn, the more amazed I am by his papacy.

I agree with the others, I am not catholic but as he was in his unfortunate state before death, my family prayed for him as a MAN, just a man, that his suffering would be short, and those that cared for him would be comforted, I believe those prayers were answered.

-D-
Be grateful in your suffering, therte is ALWAYS someone worse off than you..you probably pass them everyday.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Politics, religion, and her

DerekC said:
I agree with the others, I am not catholic but as he was in his unfortunate state before death, my family prayed for him as a MAN, just a man, that his suffering would be short, and those that cared for him would be comforted, I believe those prayers were answered.

-D-
Be grateful in your suffering, therte is ALWAYS someone worse off than you..you probably pass them everyday.

Well put, Derek. :wink:

I just saw one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. During a tribute to the Pope, a man with NO ARMS played guitar and sang a song for the Pope - sang like an angel and made that guitar sing just as beautifully (it was laying flat on the floor at his feet). If a man can inspire something like that in people, that says alot! Pope, we're all going to miss you.

Back