Favorite food...

TC, as for the Kim-chee, I am not a big fan either. I have had to fly to Korea a few times and on two occasions, I had to fly Korean Air, now that was an experience. Me, one American and 300 Koreans on a Korean airline. I felt like I was going to puke at least 10 times because the smell of garlic or whatever it was, was so strong and I think it was permeated in the seats. I have nothing against Koreans, but with that many in a little tube makes for a memorable experience. I love garlic but with that many people all together, Man, I wish I had a scratch and sniff web link. LOL.

I have heard that Kim-chee is good for a hangover. Never tried it myself.

What's the last food on Earth you'd be willing to try?

Mine would no doubt be kim-chee. The thought of putting cabbage in the ground to rot and then eating it just sounds repulsive. When I worked at Amtrak years ago there were some guys who ate it once in a while and it stunk up the whole train yard. It literally made my stomache turn.

[edit]
On second thought I'd say it's a toss-up between that and "mountain oysters" :lol:
No way!!! Kim-chee is not only good, it's not even that . It's just jarred, pickled cabbage with chile. In the old days, they'd jar them and put them into the ground to keep them in a dark, cool place. But it's not like it comes in contact with anything.

You eat pickles don't you? Same process. If you think pickles and Saurkraut are "rotting" then I guess I get why you think it's gross. I'd be willing to bet though that if you took a bite, you'd be like "Hmmm, that's not so exotic."

TC, as for the Kim-chee, I am not a big fan either. I have had to fly to Korea a few times and on two occasions, I had to fly Korean Air, now that was an experience. Me, one American and 300 Koreans on a Korean airline. I felt like I was going to puke at least 10 times because the smell of garlic or whatever it was, was so strong and I think it was permeated in the seats. I have nothing against Koreans, but with that many in a little tube makes for a memorable experience. I love garlic but with that many people all together, Man, I wish I had a scratch and sniff web link. LOL.

I have heard that Kim-chee is good for a hangover. Never tried it myself.
This is kind of a side note, but you know how many Americans say Asians smell fishy or garlicy (whether food or otherwise) many Asians think Americans smell like dairy and rotten cheese. It's all a matter of perspective. I find it interesting.

This is kind of a side note, but you know how many Americans say Asians smell fishy or garlicy (whether food or otherwise) many Asians think Americans smell like dairy and rotten cheese. It's all a matter of perspective. I find it interesting.

I've never heard either of those.

As for kim chee... I am willing to try just about anything once but it would be real hard getting past that stench. I never had the smell of a pickle make me nausious. Maybe there is a variation from the stuff those guys ate down in D.C. at the train yard... man there has to be. I'm telling you that stuff smelled like a fresh pyramid of dog doo from a sick St. Bernard :purple:

Your not a potato and corn mixer are you:shock:

Oh, HELL YEAH!!!:D Lay out the taters all across the chicken fried steak, spread out a heap o' corn, then ladle on the gravy!! A real man's meal, I tells ya!:D

As for kim chee... I am willing to try just about anything once but it would be real hard getting past that stench. I never had the smell of a pickle make me nausious. Maybe there is a variation from the stuff those guys ate down in D.C. at the train yard... man there has to be. I'm telling you that stuff smelled like a fresh pyramid of dog doo from a sick St. Bernard :purple:

Kim chee really isn't all that bad. Yeah, it stinks, but to Asians, a lot of our food stinks, too. Just a matter of what you're brought up with, I guess. Kim chee smells like roses compared to nukmom (sp?). It's a fish sauce my sis-in-law makes. It smells so bad, even to the Vietnamese, that they won't even make it inside the house. That's why so many Vietnamese have stoves in the garage or on the patio. But, once you get past that gawd-awful smell, it's really good!

Kim chee really isn't all that bad. Yeah, it stinks, but to Asians, a lot of our food stinks, too. Just a matter of what you're brought up with, I guess. Kim chee smells like roses compared to nukmom (sp?). It's a fish sauce my sis-in-law makes. It smells so bad, even to the Vietnamese, that they won't even make it inside the house. That's why so many Vietnamese have stoves in the garage or on the patio. But, once you get past that gawd-awful smell, it's really good!

I remember this Korean lady who worked at our chow hall when I was in the Air Force and she made Kim Chee and brought some for some of us to take home.
It was in one of those old Kool Whip plastic tubs with the lid on it.
I put it in the fridge for about 2 days with the lid on.
And one night I got up and poured a big glass of Kim Chee flavored milk:-|

I mean, everthing in the fridge soaked up the taste of that stuff.

I've been at cookouts and watched people eat "Mountain oysters" you call them around here they call em' "calf fryes". The cowboys would cook and eat them everytime they had a branding going on. When they are batter dipped they look just like hushpuppies.:shock:
The people that ate several of them thinking they were something else were not real happy to find out what they had been eating after all.:lol:

Me personally, I have not tried "Mountain Oysters" But, everytime my dad gets him self a deer he has to have some "Deer Oysters" or "Deer Fryes". He says that they are the best part of the deer. All of his coworkers use to turn up their nose at them :crazy: ,till my dad finely talked them into trying them, now they will never waste that part of a deer again.:)

My wife tells me I smell like
garlic all the time, but you usually can't smell your self. I have never heard that Asians think white people smell. That's a good one. I will have to ask my wife since she is Asian. When her parents visit, we have a garlic fest throughout the house. But, I have never smelled anything as bad as on that plane. It may have been an accumalation of different things, but sure did smell like a Korean restaraunt times one million. Sparky, I think your right, you like what you were raised on and not everyone has an open mind when it comes to trying something new. I will try almost anything once.

garlic all the time, but you usually can't smell your self. I have never heard that Asians think white people smell. That's a good one. I will have to ask my wife since she is Asian. When her parents visit, we have a garlic fest throughout the house. But, I have never smelled anything as bad as on that plane. It may have been an accumalation of different things, but sure did smell like a Korean restaraunt times one million. Sparky, I think your right, you like what you were raised on and not everyone has an open mind when it comes to trying something new. I will try almost anything once.

Then you gotta come to the North Carolina mountains in the spring............and get ya a bunch of "ramps"..................it's kindof a wild onion thingy. Waynesville has a Ramp Festival every year (I told mudwoman that's where I was taking her for our honeymoon........didn't go over well!!!). Anyway. if you eat those things, your mate better be eating them, too, 'cause you emit an oniony smell for a day or two......but they are REALLY good - especially with potatoes or eggs.

I don't care what animal they come off of, I ain't eating me no fried dingle balls! I think if someone tricked me into eating or tasting them I'd have a flurry of knuckle love for 'em!

I'm telling you that stuff smelled like a fresh pyramid of dog doo from a sick St. Bernard :purple:

Hahahah!!! Nice description. Are ya sure you aren't subconciously thinking it's gotta be grosser than what it is because it's Korean? I'm sure not, but many people have a subconcious thing with some asians foods (Here in the USA).

I have a friend that didn't want to try Pho (one of the foods i listed above) and she was grossed out by the thought of it.

Much later, I brought some home, telling her it was a noodle stew, that was German...and she was like "Awww it's sooooo good, YUM!" Then I sprung on her the fact that it was Vietnamese and called "Pho"...she was appauled and all of a sudden it was gross.

garlic all the time, but you usually can't smell your self. I have never heard that Asians think white people smell. That's a good one. I will have to ask my wife since she is Asian.

Now remember, it's less a race thing and more of a cultural thing. They don't think all White's smell like Milk, butter, or dairy, but rather Westerners, European, North and South American.

Below are some examples of the phenomenon:

Since body odor often differs between cultures (because diet and hygiene differ between cultures), and because people find unfamiliar body odors to be disagreeable, body odor has long been used by societies to look down on others. 17th century Japanese encountering Europeans for the first time found their odor particularly strong and likened it to the smell of rancid butter, and assigned the name bata-kusai (roughly meaning "stinks of butter") to visiting Europeans at the time. [1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_odor

It was butter, the Japanese thought, which made Europeans so peculiarly rank: bata-kusai they called them (using the English word for the foul substance): “butter-stinkers." The terms Bata-kusai, “stinking of butter,” is still a derogatory term for things obnoxiously Western.
http://webexhibits.org/butter/countries-japan.html

There's still a racially-based prejudice that Koreans have, expressed in the commonly-known, accepted-wisdom phrase (transcribed into roman characters for your delectation) used to describe the smell of euro-descended people : buttah nemseh. The 'buttah' part of this phrase means, as you might expect, 'butter'. 'Nemseh' means 'smells of', or 'stinks like'. The idea is that westerners stink of butter, and the assumption is that this is because we (the generalized monkey mass of 'we') eat so much dairy.
http://emptybottle.org/glass/2002/05/stinky.php

Last edited:
:purple: :purple: :purple:

Maybe they should make another "Messin with Sasquatch" commerical where they feed him calf fries!:purple: :purple:

Yeah, they serve Rocky Mountain oysters all over Colorado, and it's not good. It just doesn't taste good, it's kind of like gyro meat that's gone bad. Also, the texture is weird.

Are ya sure you aren't subconciously thinking it's gotta be grosser than what it is because it's Korean? I'm sure not, but many people have a subconcious thing with some asians foods
Yeah I am sure. I love many different Asian foods. I've been known to eat Chinese for lunch and my wife and I really enjoyed a dinner at a Japanese resturaunt in Towson, Md a year or so ago. I love food... and enjoy trying new stuff, but a stench like that takes the willingness to be open minded right out of me. That Vietnamese Pho you posted a picture of looks to be worth a try...

Back