• STP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mopar

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
So, pretty much like the title says - what's your favorite oil filter? Anyone hate one type the most?

After going through most Fram and K&N's are the best so far. A few other filters to look at are the WIX 51515, it's the larger size filter Fram's PH8 or a Donaldson p/n# P550299, its the biggest and gives you a 6.75 Qt cap.

I would suggest you look into one of those or looking into getting a micro filter and reg filter set up that you can mount to the lower passenger firewall. I will try to get pictures of mine and post them for you. These allow you to run longer without having to change your oil by micro filtering your oil about every 100th pass through. The Micro filter only filters 1/100 of the oil passing through the filter set-up why the bigger one filters it on a continues basis.

Also watch out for the newer oils that are API compliant, these oils run a lower zinc and phosphate level that are bad for your 4.0 (flat tappets).

FRAM PH16 is what I've always used. You say the PH8 holds more oil and works too?

Same thread and base diameter, but it will only get you about 1/2 quart more...but in the oil race of slow moving rock crawlers.. a 1/2
quart is a lot! The Donaldson is even larger!

I was told by a man who visited the Allied Signal plant in Phoenix that makes Fram Filters(not all of them I'm sure)
that Walmart beats big vendors like Fram up on price and they make "special" filters for Walmart that don't cost as much.

Purolator makes a whole lot of filters for other brands also. They make the Mobil (not mobil 1) I know because we carry them.

On Air filters, I install a K&N on everything I own, but have never bought their oil filter, yet.

I run the Fram with the sticky rubber grip on the outside. It's hard to know which one is better without looking at the Micron rating for each filter. I don't think they put it on the box.
The micron rating will tell you how small of a particle It will catch. The lower the rating, the better.
The K&N has a nice hex on the bottom for a socket or wrench. That's a plus.
Anybody other than me ever use your belt as a filter wrench?

Yea, I've done it but I just prefer jamming a screwdriver in if I don't have a filter wrench and can't get it off by hand. Rarely do I ever have to do that though.

image-missing.png

this is what I have to those tough days....

I usually just take 'em off by hand, but if for some reason one is too tight I have 2 different sized filter wrenches.

In years past I have done the screwdriver method. I have seen the belt trick but never done it personally. Had I seen it prior to the use of the screwdriver I would have gone that route instead as it is a lot less messy :)

(EDIT) Oh, and I use the regular Fram filters bought at Autozone or Advance Auto.

Not everybody gets an employee discount at the dealership :lol:

discount.. you mean 5 finger discount

she takes so much stuff out the back she's gonna Johnny Cash her a Rubicon:purple: :purple: :purple:

some of you who never listened to Johnny won;t get that...:D

I couldn't tell you where my filter wrench is. If it won't come off by hand, I slip off the belt. As fat as I am, I can get back like 8 feet and get a good tug on one.

Well I just had dinner with my good friends Scott and Amy...yes I have friends. Well Scott is my mechanic friend and jeeping buddy (white Cherokee)
Well he was saying that the PH8 style of oil filter is not a good choice for an oil filter for our jeeps because it doesn't have an anti siphon valve in the oil filter. This anti siphon valve keeps the oil in the heads at shut off so you dont have a dry start up. So what we all thought we knew is wrong...

ya kno...i bet your right, pureolater are used on old old old mercadies..diesels...i remember seeing them in stock at a dealer i worked at...

I usually like WIX but I go to my local Napa and buy Napa "gold" filters which I have been told by a few people that they are the same just renamed.

Back