Fenderwell headers/glass packs broke

Joey-T

testing

My CJ-5 has fenderwell exit headers on it with 24 inch header-mount glass packs. My father installed these when he owned the Jeep. Well, he never used any kind of a hanger on the rear of the glass packs for support- he just let them hang from the headers.

Well, one of the glass packs has fallen off, with the flange plate (and a small part of the flange off the collector) still attached to it. What I want to know is, is there any way to fix this? Could a muffler shop make a new flange on the remaining portion of the collector? It looks like there is an inch or two of material still left there.

Or, would this really be cost-prohibitive to have done, since Summit has a new set of headers for $79.50 (SUM-G9043)?

Or better yet, is there any way to buy just one header (driver side)? I never heard of this being done, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Buying new ones would probably be the best bet, but any decent exhaust shop should be able to fix them. It depends on the header. I would rather fix a set of quality large tube headers than replace them with a set of cheapos. I fixed the set I had on the CJ5 because the same thing happened. The Jeep had sat in one spot for years and the collectors had rusted off but the primary tubes were still in great shape. I cut the collector off to about 1" long, then welded some new flanges to a piece of 3" 16ga tube and welded the tube to the remaining collector that I left intact.
I've never run hangers on header mufflers, even on cars.....might have caused some nasty head flange leaks, but I doubt that's what ruined the collector.
I don't think anyone would sell you just one header unless you could get in touch with the manufacturer and buy directly from them.

get shorty headers and go back inside the frame. You dont want the exhaust under the rockers. They are easily damaged and the heat that comes from them comes right in the door. Also people are always getting burnedon them. I had a jeep like that for a while and hated it.

Back