filling in body dimples cj7(few cool pics inside)

Sacredgroove

Re: RE: Another belly up question

I will be stripping my paint and repainting in the near future. anyone have any advice/luck on filling the weld dimples all the way down the sides/rocker panel of the cj7? ill be painting a dark color,probably a maroon metallic so I would like to have a nice smooth body. im thinking just fill and sand but I am curious if they tend to show back up over time...
dont get me wrong it wont be a show jeep or anything I just want the dimples gone. when i get it all finsihed I get to experience the joy of tearing it up again! \M/

few pics of my toys. my z28 resto pics are not on this pc but this is my beloved CJ7 and my 69 Corvette

PC130018-3.jpg

IMG_1075-3.jpg

zainoday-4.jpg

Most CJ's, Landcruiser's and Bronc's all seemed to be skim coated with Bondo from the factory. I think they have a product for skimming them out that is less of a PITA to spread than the Body filler.

RE: A recent trail inciDENT

I just have to say that is one EXTREMELY NICE Corvette!!! '69 has always been my favorite year...and that one is soooooo clean!

If you're not concerned about long term appearance, just fill, sand, and paint. Those nasty spot welds usually cover up. Since you said you are going to put your own beauty marks on it, I wouldn't put a lot of time and money in the little buggers. :)

mike

RE: Jeep 101 - Question from 1st timer

I have found that using bondo in the spot welds sometimes crack out due to body flexing. If your going to spend a few bucks on paint I would recomend that you look into having some one in the body industry side that knows how to metal fill them with babbit. its a lead like metal that can be melted with a oxy/setaline torch. A good body guy can melt fill them in and sand them down for ya.

I suppose it all depends on what you're using the Jeep for. Are you afraid of getting more dings in it again from rocks on the trail, or from shopping carts at the mall? If it's rock dings, personally I wouldn't bother going to extremes to fix any little nicks and scratches....character, ya know. If it's shopping cart dings from mall crawlin', then why not just use diamond plate top to bottom?

it is the weld markings in a straight line on the rear quarter above the wheel that I want to fill, and probably the old snap holes while Im at it. thanks for the babbit idea, my father can do that for me no problem(or even better teach me how to do it). just want the body in decent looking shape before I repaint it. im sure i will mess it up again :)

Back