Final thoughts

stumblnyj

I currently have a 91 YJ with the 4 banger and have been kicking around a V8 motor swap for a few years now. Now that tax season is upon us and I'm getting back a few grand the idea has come back to life. Well kind of.... I recently found that I have a bent leaf spring (pretty bad) so now I'm kicking the thought of replacing the suspension. I still have my 4.0 and new Jasper AX-15 from my 95 YJ that was totalled a few years ago. With the tax money what would you all do?

1) Go for the small block V8 and trans (would need to buy both) and replace/ repair the leaf

or

2) Replace the entire suspension with a 5" BDS kit and put the 4.0 and trans from my 95 YJ (this also includes a slip yoke eliminator and new rear shaft)

I'd go with the second choice especially if it's a DD. Personally, I'd love the 8 in my Jeep, but I'd have a hard time justifying the longterm cost. Besides, you're getting a better setup with the second choice in a manner of speaking. Having all of that motor on an aging suspension is not exactly ideal in my book.

Then again, my book is more of a pamphlet with a few questionable details that I picked up at a roadside diner.

thanks the more i kick it around I tend to be leaning toward option 2 as well. Its just the small block has been on my to do list for a while

Back