Flex-a-Lite Customer Service

As I mentioned in my "Electric Fan Install" thread, I promised to report on the customer service at Flex-a-Lite concerning the "missing" 40 amp circuit breaker. As it turns out, Twisted Copper was correct in posting that they are now substituting an inline 25 amp fuse for a 40 amp circuit breaker. It's not even a full size fuse, it's one of those "mini" fuses.

I placed several phone calls to Flex-a-Lite's customer service line. All too many times, my call was dropped after holding for upwards of 15 minutes. One day I was on hold for a full hour during my lunch break, only to have my call dropped when the receptionist (or whoever she was) tried to transfer me to tech support. The few times I actually did get through to tech support, I was re-directed to a techie's voice mailbox. I left no fewer than 5 messages for them to contact me, including my name, phone number, and address. Nothing. So, here is the message I sent through their website:

Comments: A few weeks ago, I purchased and installed a Flex-a-Lite 475 Electric fan in my Jeep Wrangler. The installation was very easy, but the kit was missing the 40-amp circuit breaker. I have called the customer service line several times to ask that the part be sent to me, with no response. I have spoken twice to a receptionist, and left messages on the voicemail of the tech support line of "Dave". Nobody has returned my call, and no part has been sent. I am very disappointed in the customer service of your company. I frequently post on several Jeep message boards, and hope that I don't have to post to them what a disappointment your company has been in their customer service. The product is working very well, but for most people on the message boards, it comes down to customer service when making a decision on what product to buy. Please resolve this issue as quickly as possible to prevent negative reviews on the message boards. You may contact me by email or by phone at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Here is the response I got tonight (to the message I sent a week ago yesterday):

Eric.

I'm sorry if I have not gotten back to you, I have not gotten any messages. As far as the circuit breaker goes, there is no longer a circuit breaker being used, it is a inline fuse holder with a 25 amp. fuse. We switched over do to problems with the breakers we were getting.

Hope this helps.

David Heutmaker
Customer Service
Flex-A-Lite Consolidated
Marisource

The message I sent back to "Dave" wasn't pleasant, even though I nearly bit my tongue off keeping it halfway civil:

David,

You know, it might help if you'd mention that somewhere, either in your advertising or in the instructions. Your instructions call for a 40 amp circuit breaker, and you send out a dinky little 25 amp fuse that looks like it belongs in a kid's toy. I'm no electrical whiz, but I know the difference between a 40 amp circuit breaker and a 25 amp fuse, and I didn't use it because 1) it wasn't listed in the instructions; 2) if a system calls out for a 40 amp circuit breaker I'd think a 25 amp fuse would be constantly blowing; 3) I have an innate tendency to only install products according to the instructions for fear of voiding any warranty that may be offered (although after this experience, I wonder how hard it would be to get anything replaced under warranty). I purchased a 40 amp circuit breaker from a local automotive supply store to complete the installation. Aside from this issue, the installation was very easy, and I am quite pleased with the electric fan's performance. However, I am not pleased with the slow response from your customer service department, nor am I pleased with the repeated phone calls that were either dropped or transferred to voicemail (that was never answered). When I patronize a company, I look at the whole picture when making my decision to buy from them again, and sadly, the picture I'm seeing here has a cracked frame.

Let me finish by saying the damage has been done; your customer service department leaves a lot to be desired, and I will post the same on each of the message boards that I frequent. By my estimate, that will be approximately 80,000 Jeep and off-road enthusiasts reading a negative report on your company. If that is acceptible to lose that many potential customers for failing to update your information and failing to return phone calls, then so be it. Most companies I know would rather not lose one customer, let alone tens of thousands of customers.

Thanks for the extremely late response,

Eric Stites
Former Flex-a-Lite Customer

So, dear friends at Jeepz.com, spread the word...unless customer service means nothing to you.

Cheers,

Sparky

RE: Laughter.... the color of life

If it's any consolation to ya my fuse never blew and the mini-fuses work just as good as thye big ones, although I'll admit they frustrate me because I can't change them without tools as they are too small to get by pinching with my fingers. They are pretty much standard on most vehicles today. Another thing is if a circuit breaker goes bad, you need to go find a replacement, while spare fuses can be rogued from another circuit if you don't have one.

It is pretty piss poor that you couldn't get through to them though :(

Complietly
Irritated
Advocate for good costomer service.

Back