Ford 8.8 true off road strength?

Dragin

Ok, so how stong is the Ford 8.8 in true off road conditions? Mudding, rock crawling, trails etc? I know from alot of experiance that in a Mustang drag race application the can be made exteremly strong with aftermarket axles, lockers, spools c-clip eliminators etc. I have build them for my own drag race cars and they have withstanded 1.21 60 ft times, standing the car on the bumper time and time again in a 600rwhp car with 500rwtq and even lived behind my 946rwhp 1101rwtq turbo charged street mustang. But how do they truley stack up off road under exterme side loading, slip and grab situations in both Mud, rocks etc? I have read on the pirate board with 31 spline and a locker that they can be as strong as a stock 60 and thats the most most people will need, but Id like to here from people that have used it in this application as how the do and there life span. Whats there Max tire size etc. I put one that I had lieing around in my Jeep because I know its stronger that the 35, but whats the limit? Just curious.

Steve

The only problem I ever had with mine is that I blew a carrier which cost me the ring and pinion. I think it was because of the rear dif cover being so thin. I believe I smacked the cover one too many times and hit the ring gear which caused everything to go. The two weakest points I've ever read about are the carrier and the dif cover. Great axle otherwise.

Back