Frankenstien CJ-7

sicnik

Im getting ready to start on a project, I have a 1979, and a 1981 or 82 CJ-7, I am going to be mix n matchig parts from both like frame and tub etc. is there any problems with doing this as far as what parts i can switch around or are all CJ-7s interchangeable?

RE: Clutch Rattling

As far as I know, everything is the same on those years. They should be interchangable except for the motor mounts if they are different (258 4.2L/304 5.0L)

RE: 5 Rubicon rims/tires, like new

79 narrow axles 82 wide track

Brake line mounts are different, only if you buy a pre-fabbed set but they will still work

Frame may have slight differences. I had a '79 and replaced it with a '84

you cannot use your '79 trans with your '82 transfer case and vise versa unless you get adaptors

My CJ7 is Titled a 1980. Frame '84. Axles '79. Engine '79. seats were out of a '83 CJ8 now they are '91 Eclipse. Rollbar '85.

Alot of us have our own Frankenjeep :lol:

I'm working in my own Frankenjeep. 83 frame, 95 body, 79 title, trans, transfer case, axles, 78 engine.
You should be able to make it all work. The 79 has an extra crossmember for the rear brake line that my 83 frame did not have. Nothing I couldn't fab out of angle iron though.

Back