from 0 to 100 and jeep is cutting out

faithjlr

Help. Had my 04 Jeep rubicon in the shop three times. It will run fine for a day to a week, then start cutting out and the speed odometer goes crazy from 0 to 100, back and forth. I have changed fuel pump, cleaned tank, new plugs, shop put in two injectors, they say it shows no codes and does not do it when they have it. I have replaced the speed sensors....at my witts end! All suggestions appreciated.
Seems to be getting worse, been going on for about three months.

faithjlr said:
Help. Had my 04 Jeep rubicon in the shop three times. It will run fine for a day to a week, then start cutting out and the speed odometer goes crazy from 0 to 100, back and forth. I have changed fuel pump, cleaned tank, new plugs, shop put in two injectors, they say it shows no codes and does not do it when they have it. I have replaced the speed sensors....at my witts end! All suggestions appreciated.

Maybe dirty or clogged fuel lines. Maybe a fuel pressure issue. But hard to tell if it isn't throwing a code out

faithjlr said:

When u get it back y don't u hook a scan tool into the port and see what's the engine is doing as u drive it. Some of those scan tools give I fuel pressure readings and a load of other usefull stuff

It sound like its ECM (electronic control module), there is two different problems that should have no inter-relationship between each other ecpt the ECM.
The cutting out could be several things, everything from fuel pump to injectors, but when this problem arises, you say the speedometer goes from 0-100 as like a self diagnostic pattern.

First off, the only place that fuel system and some sort of self diagnostic/ speedometer fault that can affect it is through the ECM. After that that they are not connected in any shape or manner. The fuel system needs to know the vehicle speed and RPM load to change the fuel delivery but that is done through the vehicles logarithmic file.
Your best bet here is to run it over to the stealer ship and have them run the ECM through a full diagnostics and if its clear re-flash your system parameters.
This is your best starting point to rule out the ECM, since this is where both systems are directly connected.

Check your battery terminals and all ground connections. Be sure they are clean (bare metal) and tight. Get the battery and alternator load tested.

Good indicator is your trip odometer will reset when this symptom occurs.

Crank sensor will also fail with no code or warning.

Last edited:
When u get it back y don't u hook a scan tool into the port and see what's the engine is doing as u drive it. Some of those scan tools give I fuel pressure readings and a load of other usefull stuff

Ok, will try this. did the key on off thing to see if there were codes, and it shows don E but I can not find anything that tells anything about this???

faithjlr said:
Ok, will try this. did the key on off thing to see if there were codes, and it shows don E but I can not find anything that tells anything about this???

Well the scan tool will tell u a lot more detailed info. Try to get one with live engine feed that way u can c what all Ur sensors are doing aswell as fuel pressure and a lot more crucial info u will need to try and figure out what wrong. Good luck and keep us posted

k my 97 was doing the same thing you described acted like it had a rev limiter at 2k - 3k rpms mine was only while it was cold once it warmed up to running temp. it would do fine i donno which trick worked but i went through the sensors on the throttle body and cleaned the plugs made sure it was good contact then i went to the speed sensor and cleaned it and for some reason my speedometer stopped working but it doesnt do the cutting out anymore gauge is good according to holding the trip button and turning the key on all the gauges dance but no reading from the sensor now so i donno going on 3 days now with no speedometer but the jeep is running great

Back