Fuel economy

big_o_tom

How's the cost of gas going to affect your daily lives, four-wheelin', fishin', maybe just driving to work? Me, I used to go offroad 3 or 4 times a week, either in my Jeep or on my fourwheeler. And If I wasn't going wheelin' I was going fishing. Now, I've quit my job for one closer to home and I hardly ever go wheelin or fishin. I actually thought about a 4 cyl. Jeep today. How may of you have one? Have they been reliable? What about "MPG"? What kind of gears and tire's are you using?

I really haven't changed my driving any. I've got the 6 cyl manual and I get about 15 mpg no matter how I drive it. It costs me about $30 a week more now and that sucks but it's not going to break me.

I've started doing some surf fishing (standing on the beach and fishing) instead of taking out my old fishing boat. Buying gas on the water is .50 - $1 more than on land for some reason. Other than that things are business as usual.

I've been keeping pretty good gas records from my 2005 Wrangler (4.0 and auto), and I'm getting 13.635 MPG (this is an average of my last 30 tanks of gas).

I've orderd a throttle body spacer, and plan on getting a cold air intake - hopefully I can get that up some.

As to 4 bangers, there are alot of guys here that have them and are very happy. I think they do fine on the trails, but don't quite have the get up and go on the interstate. Here's some MPG data for a 2005:

Model|MPG (city) | MPG (hwy) | Annual Fuel Cost*| Greenhouse Gas Emissions (tons/yr)*
Jeep Wrangler/TJ 4WD 4 cyl, 2.4 L, Manual 6-spd|16|19| $2990| 10.80
Jeep Wrangler/TJ 4WD 6 cyl, 4 L, Automatic 4-spd|13|16| $3631| 13.10
Jeep Wrangler/TJ 4WD 6 cyl, 4 L, Manual 6-spd|13|17| $3392| 12.20

Annual Fuel Costs and Greenhouse Gas Estimates are based on 45% highway driving, 55% city driving, and 15000 annual miles.
Assumed Fuel Prices:
  • Regular: 3.39

How's the cost of gas going to affect your daily lives, four-wheelin', fishin', maybe just driving to work?

Not much change as far as driving style, but my rig is not yet trail rated (according to my own standards, not Jeeps) for the Miami area, as I have no lockers, and there's A LOT of mud down here!

How may of you have one? Have they been reliable? What about "MPG"? What kind of gears and tire's are you using?

Mine is a 4-banger; I got a '94 YJ, and have made some mods (FoMoCo e-fan conversion with speed controlled according to the temp of the aluminum radiator, Performance Distributor ignition, LiveWires, plugs gapped at .45 if I remember correctly, roller rockers, K&N filter in stock box, 62mm TB, 62mm TB spacer, Gibson Cat Back, all new snesors to be sure they are up and running as they should, etc) and I am just getting 16 mpg.

I think if I stay of the highway, I'd probably get a little more (anything over 50 in a Jeep and the engine, regardless of size, has to push a lot of air around!). I should point out that I got the stock gears (4.10), transmission (AX5) and TC (NV231), but I do run 31 tires, so that lowers the mpg also... Not to mention I got the hardtop on (heavier = mor fuel burnt every time I accelarate from a stand still) and I have 4 inches of lift (more wind resistance).

Overall, I am really happy with the 4 banger, and if you get one, great for you. Just dont expect it to be better in mpg than the 4.0L, 'cause it's really not, especially in highway situations! A head wind will surely go acompanied by a drop to 4th gear!

Felipe

Swap in a diesel and you should get a lot better MPG. Can't remember where I saw the writeup, but the guy claimed @ 30MPG after swapping a diesel into a CJ

........I actually thought about a 4 cyl. Jeep today. How may of you have one? Have they been reliable? What about "MPG"? What kind of gears and tire's are you using?

'Nother 4Banger owner here (2 actually). Very, very reliable......no problems at all to speak of other than usual wear and tear. Both have 4:10's (or 4:11's - never could get that right) and both runnin' 31's. I get around 18-20 mpg on the highway.....a little less around town. I don't really pay attention on the trails - havin' too much fun to worry about MPG. If you wanna go 80 down the interstate, don't go for the 4banger (doesn't bother me).

I know a mechanic here in town that put a 4-cyl. bobcat motor (diesel) in a CJ-5 and said that he got over 30 mpg.

it's amazing to see those kind of fuel milages out of 6cyls in such a lite
vehicle. the reason i say this is I was planning on putting my 79 cj 5
on the road for a daily driver . it has the 4.3 6cyl. I figured i would get better
milage but hearing you guys maybe i'll keep driving my truck.
its a 89 f350 single wheel 1ton 4x4 with a 7.3 desiel gets about 16mpg.
my 04 durango gets about the same with a v8.
so whats up with that.

Back