Full steel door repair

FredDog01

Purchased a set of full doors at a good price. The door need patching, PO has a lot of screw holes all over from whatever. I drilled and tapped the hinges so I can use the mirrors from the half doors (worked out fine). Had keys made for the old locks .
Could I use JB Weld steel to plug the screw holes or use countersunk pop rivets & bond dough over?
I also need door moldings & window sweeps.
( 94 yj)
Any suggestions or comments ?
thanks Stan :shades:

Ideally you'd braze the holes. JB and bondo should work although you'd want to countersink the hole slightly first.

Either plan works. Check to make sure the sheet metal isn't torn at the point where the pop out window and the regular window meet, though. They are always torn right there so do it now and you can just weld it up while the doors are being worked for the screw holes. It's super easy and then you won't have anymore trouble with it.

These are my wife's 93 Sahara doors. That's the welds I did to fix where hers where torn.

And I only had silver paint in the garage so have proper supplies before you weld, ha ha ha

Is JB weld sandable?
Personally I'm a bondo guy, but mainly because I can't weld. If you can weld then do that, if not then use bond with some fiberglass mesh to fill the larger holes.

Yes, it's sandals but I like bonds or fiberglass for body work, also. That's what it's made for so it's easy to use.

Back