GENNYBRO wants a M715

greg92jeepxj

Official Supporter
Although the M715 was , and still is a mighty terror of a jeep , old school aside , it deserves it due. Standing still , it is an awesome looking beast . Rolling ( and actually running ) , it was virtually unstoppable. Having had the chance to once own either an M715 or a M37 , both from DOD disposal auction , I was not allowed to purchase either as I had just obtained my driver's permit (age 17) and mom and dad said no. For less than $2000 back in 1980 , I could have owned them both. But parental ruling was law . Besides , where was a 17 year old , working in a junkyard for $150 a 6 day week going to get $2000 ?
I say if my chance has gone by , maybe our brother GENNYBRO should not miss his . If possible , let's see some pics of this mammoth and its present condition . Restoration to some degree is most certain as it is up for sale for $1000 in unrunning condition . Our questions are many such as ; sheet metal and lack of (rot) , chassis condition ( these trucks were heavy , chassis needs to be sound) , military wiring is a nightmare ! ( blackout lights and charging system) , the Kaiser I6 engine most likely has issues ( they did back in the day) the drivetrain may be salvageable if was maintained . But all this amounts to money , time and lots of shop tools . Not having owned one or wrenched on one , if anyone can give any real world experience , owned or maintenance wise , I'm sure our bro GENNYBRO would appreciate your opinion . In advance , thanks . Greg

OOPS ! This thread was supposed to be posted in GENERAL CHAT , could the administration or moderate please move it ? Sorry .

I 'm not gonna go for it, I seen it and was curious as to what other folks thought. It looks like it would be a great work truck. But I'm sworn to fun with a jeep, and work is not in the picture.
Unless of course I'm digging myself or someone else out of a mudhole.

Well , a jeep will certainly be a lot more fun. The M715 is just that , a work truck. Don't worry , you'll find your jeep . Please post pics !

I love the M715's, it's on my list of most wanted. The guy that owns the 4x4 shop in town has a nice one, with a 460cu and massive rubber. I've seen 'em for sale here an there over the years. Most of the time they weren't asking much for them but they'd be looking needy. Saw one on ebay last year that was an M715 but had the the military maintenance body. ( similar to an ambulance but not an M37 body) Still had all the military equipment, huge winch, on board welders and generators. It was the shizzle!

Had a lot of experience with both the 715 and the M37 in the service. Biggest issue with the 715's was the Hurricane Six engine. Overhead cam, but you could never get the gaskets to stay sealed. I had a buddy back in Austin that had a 715 with a 350 in it, and that was what it needed, IMO. BTW, they are a 1 1/4 ton, and the M37 was a 3/4 ton, with a flathead six. They were just underpowered, and on a convoy from Cannon AFB in NM to Nellis in LV, the 37's always had a hard time keeping up unless the convoy stayed around 50 or so miles per hour.

That's the greatest thing about either truck , room under the hood for ANYTHING you wanted to drop in . Big block Chevy or FORD , MOPAR , diesel , anything. Even a 292 Chevy engine would have been better then the plagued Kaiser . According to MILITARY VEHICLES magazine , the truck as tested was very capable but temperamental as the engine needed its service frequently , especially valve lash . But all that work and no payoff . Engine swap is the only way to go. Sure , I would love to own it and keep it original ( engine too ) just like when GI's drove it , but the way I heard it , it wasn't worth your life. One guy said he never left base without a fire extinguisher . Not to put out flames but to cool the fuel pump and lines due to chronic vapor lock. I'm sure that was common in PRVN. I always took a shine to the M37 but the M715 was the one that had AWESOME written all over it ! Yeah, I would imagine they were slow , but today , that can be fixed . Hey , it's a jeep , sure wish someone in our forum is rolling one . Love to see it in action too ! They're still out there .

Actually, the 715 had a Tornado Six, not a Hurricane. And, i suspect part of the reason they (and the 37) were so slow was because of the low axle ratios. But they were very capable, and the military generally doesn't move real fast anyway. Heck, my M-151 will do about 65 going downhill..

I just had to research that , forgot about the hurricane engine, but remembered the "GO DEVIL" engine. Turns out ( mind works in mysterious ways) the hurricane engine replaced the go devil engine. The final drives in MV vehicles were often geared for power only , speed wasn't a concern . Go figure. M151 ! Nice to know someone's got one after the govt disposal hacked them up to prevent civilians from tiping them over on our nations highways and streets , hence lawsuits.

Needed power to climb ditches push logs and maybe an armored vechicle to push, dont think they really needed speed, work horse is what it was. no pavement on the battle field.

As awesome of a truck the M715 is , I guess the right vehicle for your need is a jeep CJ or TJ ? Was wondering if you were looking at one for a work truck.

Last edited:
No! Wasn't looking for a work truck, just a project. Seen it on craigs list and was curious about it. Would love to find a scrambler, that's what I need.

The scrambler would be an excellent choice , good size bed that has more room than a CJ 5 or 7.
Hope you find one , they seem to be in demand. I almost feel like starting a new thread , call it GENNYBRO wants a Scrambler .

I've got a Scrambler project I've been collecting parts for and working on here and there. I've wanted one since they came out (I was in middle school then). I was looking at mine the other day thinking about pulling the missing pieces of it's puzzel from my CJ5. I hate to do that but I like my CJ5...I love my Scrambler. I can't believe how much they ask for a CJ8 that has holes in it you could pitch a cat thru. But then again..I can't beleive how much a CJ5 as rusty as mine goes for either.

image-3196348599.jpg This was the lowest priced scrambler I could find in the listings. Yes , every other posting was for five digit sales figures. Your right , I would never have thought the scrambler would go for so much. I always thought it was a cool but sensible jeep with its larger bed like the cj8 but always thought of the cj5 as more popular . I remember the scrambler when it debuted to , was in middle school as well , just remember looking at it saying , " wow, is that a jeep ? " . It's a real shame when the world pushes a man to a decision of whether to take from one jeep to complete another when in reality you really want both up and running. Personally , it would break my heart to break down one favorite , even for another. It would be my hopes for you to get the scrambler and the CJ up and running , but I know that is yours to. Really wishing the best to you for both jeeps. Greg

image-1224558759.jpg

Just another one I found . Guess there out there just waiting for someone to snatch it up .

Last edited:
The black one at the bottom is just 17miles from my house. I looked at it on C-list a while back. If I remember right they did something screwy to lift it and get those axels under it. seems like they welded an extention to the frame up front. The tires are badly dry rotted, I'm pretty sure it didn't run or have drive shafts. There were several reasons I didn't drag it home and decided to keep working on the one I have (which ain't much).
You do know the Scrambler is a CJ8 don't ya?

Never know where you'll find them, I found a complete stock cj8 this spring setting for sale for $3k ran and drive just needed some body work but not a ton. I only wish I would of had the money to snatch it up guy didn't advertise online so I had to see it for a month before someone bought it...torture pure torture.

The black one at the bottom is just 17miles from my house. I looked at it on C-list a while back. If I remember right they did something screwy to lift it and get those axels under it. seems like they welded an extention to the frame up front. The tires are badly dry rotted, I'm pretty sure it didn't run or have drive shafts. There were several reasons I didn't drag it home and decided to keep working on the one I have (which ain't much). You do know the Scrambler is a CJ8 don't ya?
That is right , I confused specifications with model . The scrambler IS a CJ8. Thanks. Was wondering just how close or far it was from your proximity when I found the ad. It sounds like a cross between a basket case and a parts vehicle. If the body has too many issues , it would be best to deal with the scrambler you currently own. Shame it would not serve you much , I guess it would not pay to fork over good money and not really get anything out of it ? Only good to someone who does not have a cj8 and would not mind tearing it down for a resto and undo what is not "scrambler". Looks like pickings are slim and folks want to capitalize on the fact that the scrambler is somewhat rare as it was only made for several years and the model was discontinued. Guess we cannot do much about that. But I respect that your trying hard to do all you can to complete yours.
The orange one might possibly be close to 69jeepcj but I know he's got his hands full on fixing front and rear axles on his CJ ?

Last edited:
Never know where you'll find them, I found a complete stock cj8 this spring setting for sale for $3k ran and drive just needed some body work but not a ton. I only wish I would of had the money to snatch it up guy didn't advertise online so I had to see it for a month before someone bought it...torture pure torture.

I know the feeling , seen two CJ's this year , neither for sale. One was mint , the other needs to be restored and I'm sure the owner probably will drive it into the ground . Shameful.

When I get anouther jeep, I'm gonna drive it like I stole it. Run it right into the ground, take it back home and nurse it to life again, and then it's back to running devils path again, Hell yeah that is what I want it for. No nice paint job for my baby, can of spray paint is all it's gonna get.

Back