Getting around state emmisions regulations

79 CJ5

I have a 1979 CJ-5 that was built in Canada, no cat. conv. and no E.G.R., but I removed the sticker on the dash that said it was built in Canada. How do I prove what it is so I don't have to put a cat. conv. on to go through the state I/M program?

I believe that the letter " B " in the VIN # will indicate built in Canda . I think that there is a section in the Chilton manual -library ??- which details the VIN number system .

The VIN only breaks down that it is a Jeep, The year of the Veh., the Model, the GVW, engine size & Type, and the Trans. type, the remainder is the build seq. There are no letter designations for the Build Plant in thi VIN, it is one of the old 13 digit VIN. Thanks for you input, any other sugestions out there?

This isnt exactly what you're asking but what I did when my cat. conv. started rattling (something got inside it when they put new tailpipe on), i just took the converter off and rammed the guts out and put it back on to fill the gap. No problem, and i still have the converter but it doesnt convert
image-missing.png
. I dunno if they test the emissions but visually its there. If you had the casing, it could look like you had one.

What I am trying to do is prove that my JEEP was in fact built in Canada.
This will prove that it was not built with a converter at all, much less get my tailpipe sniffed, and who out there would like that???
image-missing.png

On my 81 CJ-7 there is a plate inside the passenger compartment. It is located below the door opening driver's side inside the jeep. I am not sure of the info included on this plate (will check mine tomorrow and update this post if possible). Maybe there is some info that may help you here
image-missing.png
Good Luck.

------------------
Deny
81CJ-7

WOULDN'T IT JUST BE EASIER TO PUT A CAT ON IT? ALL THE HASSLE YOUR GONNA GO THROUGH TO PROVE WHERE IT WAS MADE. IN THE END THE ONLY ONE YOUR ACTUALLY HURTING IS YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY. THE CATALYTIC CONVERTOR WAS PUT THERE TO TRY AND "CLEAN" THE EXHAUST OF NOx. BY EITHER BYPASSING IT OR TAKING IT OUT ISN'T REALLY HELPING ANYONE. IF THEY DO PERFORM EMISSIONS TESTS WITH A DYNO IT WILL SHOW UP RIGHT AWAY.
ITS JUST SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT NEXT TIME YOU WANT TO TAKE IT OUT OR "GUT IT". YOUR ONLY HURTING YOUR ENVIRONMENT.

TREAD LIGHTLY HAS A WHOLE NEW MEANING.

I don't know about the rest of the country but here in California it wouldn't matter where it was built. You would have to have a Cat. anyway.

------------------
SHAUN
image-missing.png

That's true Canadian built or not ,if not specificly built for export outside the US & Canada ,it would have had to comply with federal rules requiring a catalytic convertor. Everyone spends so much time and money trying to get around them for minor if any horsepower gains. dont waste your time or your cash flow put a cat on and move onto something else . Besides there is nothing worse than sitting at a light or in traffic smelling your own tailpipe reek , do it right if you ham up your exhaust system you will end up with just that --a hammed up exhaust system.

One other thought on this topic...witht the newer cats. available, there is very little loss of HP due to flow restrictions. Most of the cats. flow better than the factory originals did (or could ever have hoped to). Just my .02 worth.

------------------
Deny
81CJ-7; Jeep... it's an addiction; If it ain't broke, you didn't play hard enough; AND A bad day jeepin is better that a great day at work!

Back