good trade or not?

jeepjeep!

Wife has an 02 mazes tribute. Which is a money pit! A guy want to trade us a 92 cherokee with 4.0 auto 4x4 not sure if its zj or xj? Plus $1700 cash. . We've been looking for a jeep to lift and play around with plus you can always sell a jeep. .im not sure of the condition but the guy says its his daily driver. . He's coming by this evening. Its gonna have to be pretty nice to trade I think but. .how easy and cheap are the lifts for those cherokees and is there any other good mods or things to watch with these older cherokees?

it might have the older fuel injection on it, i don;t remember the cut off year but that would be an XJ as the zj didn;t come out till 93. they are nice trucks and very easy to lift. turning radius is great and you can put them into some tight parking places. we always loved our cherokees. wife had one for many years

I would not do it, a XJ of that vintage around here in OK driveable shape XJ's are selling for about $500-1500. I am not sure if rust is an issue where you are from, but XJ's here in the north east rot out in the floor boards and the rockers, both places often over looked by a purchaser.

I'd be leery as well, that XJ is 10 years older than your Mazda, and even if he's offering an additional $1700 (assuming he's paying you that and not the other way around) I still think you could sell the Mazda out right and still find a newer Cherokee for the money you get from the Mazda... Just curious, has he said why he's selling it?

You didn't give the specifics on your Mazda, but even if it was a base model 4 Cyl, 2 wheel drive with 100K miles, in fair condition, it's still worth between $3400 and $4000...

I would definately compare the values of each before making a decision.

Last edited:

Mazda is a money pit every week its something else. In the last six months we've put 2300 in it .I looked at the jeep yesterday. .drove good. 4x4 worked brakes good steering was still easy. .no rust all windows worked. The motor didn't. Have any unusual sounds. .he and his wife just had a baby and they want something a little newer safer and with car seat latches. .im just gonna use it as a toy. The wife gets the money and she has some saved up she is gonna by a civic. . But no dents in jeep paint good. . Good tires. I was surprised. I was I. Kindergarten when this thing was brand new! Its this guys daily driver. .must see to believe. Only thing I didn't like was no towing hitch. .but anyways maybe if we make the deal ill upload pics I asked for a little more boot.

Sounds like it was well cared for! I would still run both against Kelley Blue Book Private Party Sales just to ensure you are getting a fair deal. Better to know going in then have buyer's remorse after the fact...

Well I used to be a car salesman at a dealership before I started workin on them so I know my car values. . I know ill loose a little money on the mazda but were loosing more maintaining it. . I know we could sell the mazda for twice as muchoutright as the jeep outright. .but thats assuming someone will buy it and consider cost of maintaining until then. .last time we almost had it traded it blew a plug out of the motor while the other couple was driving it. . We've had it on the internet for a year now and noone will buy it and we've dropped the price. .its kinda to the point where she wants to get out of it and doesn't mind paying a car payment to make that happen.

Cool! Well, sounds like you may end up with a more reliable vehicle even if it is 10 years older! For your sake, I hope the guy selling it isn't lurking here, you may have some splainin to do...

Iv told him everything we've had to do. . But she's gonna buy a honda so it should def be more economic and reliable than the mazda. .plus they hold their value. . As for the jeep id say its as reliable as a new car lol iv read some stores where these things just keep on going. .anyways well use it to play or trade or sell. . I may drive it to work and keep the miles off my 04 wj it has 117 k the 92 has 150k

Ha! That 92 is just getting broken in... My son-in-law is a mechanic and he told me he regularly sees these in-line 6 equipped Jeeps with 300K to 400K miles and they are still running strong! In his opinion, there's not a more reliable engine on the road! My daughter has a Civic, you can't kill them either... Be sure to post some pics after you get the new cars!

there is but they are all I6 engiens, ha ha ha.

my bmw I6 motors all had over 300k when i sold them. all my jeeps with I6 had over 200k when we sold them (for the same price we bought them)

I just pulled up mazda tribute on craigslist in the boston area, average price for a 01-03 was $7000; no way in hell a 92 XJ is worth that in stock configuration, even if it was mint..

so lets assume the XJ is worth $2000, plus he's giving you $1700, so your getting in total $3700; your giving him at least a $7000 vehicle. unless my simple math is flawed, he's making out $3300 in his favor.

Don't do it; sell you mazda out right first, then go shopping. spend some time cleaning, washing, waxing, the mazda, clean it like you have never cleaned it before, put some new fluids in it and an air filter, make it look like it was worth more than $8000 and sell it for that much.

Just for fun, I ran a wholesale market report on both vehicles ... I couldn't recall if you had said the Mazda was 2wd or 4x4... So I went with 4x4....
Above Average Below
Sale Price $6,097 $4,128 $2,159
Odometer 78,808 120,422 162,036

These were the National Averages of actual sales for the past 2 weeks...
In addition to the wholesale figures it also identifies an estimated retail sales price based on dealer (independent and franchise) sales/financing data for a corresponding timeframe.... National Avg. Retail $ 7100. ... Of the actual transactions typically about 90% are dealer financed.

The Cherokee didn't have a sufficient # of units sold in the timeframe to meet the market report criteria to produce Data results in the system... But if it's clean and with decent mileage it's safe to figure it's worth 2,000 retail...
So if he coughs up 2,000-2,500 + Cherokee
You end up with about average wholesale$$... Which is typically less than trade-in$$... Dealer financing is what makes the 7100. attainable... On a non-financing lot it's going to be closer to 6000 ... Because that transaction will be cash + trade or buyers personal bank ( who won't be as generous as the dealers sources;-) )
And you know how much interest you've had in it after a year of FSBO ads ....

Dude, you are buying a civic either way... ;-)
Question is ... Do you want a Cherokee & a little bit of $$ to play with or would you rather hold out in hopes of more $$$....

[☠]lllllll[☠] 89 YJ ...SOA +6.5...44"Trxus' I Love my dirtYJeep! [☠]lllllll[☠]

Just talked to them again tonight he surprisingly agreed to the jeep and 2500 bucks. .also traded my bass boat to a 4 wheeler tonight. Supposed to make the deal with the keep tomorrow if it all works out ill have some money to play with ( lift the jeep and the wheeler ) got a 2000 Suzuki quadrunner 500 4x4 with alum wheels and dirt devil tires. .got what do u guys think?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110915_230613.png
    ForumRunner_20110915_230613.png
    529.6 KB · Views: 287
jeepjeep! said:
Just talked to them again tonight he surprisingly agreed to the jeep and 2500 bucks. .also traded my bass boat to a 4 wheeler tonight. Supposed to make the deal with the keep tomorrow if it all works out ill have some money to play with ( lift the jeep and the wheeler ) got a 2000 Suzuki quadrunner 500 4x4 with alum wheels and dirt devil tires. .got what do u guys think?

Well.......it is "tomorrow" already......... Gotta new Jeep toy ?

[☠]lllllll[☠] 89 YJ ...SOA +6.5...44"Trxus' I Love my dirtYJeep! [☠]lllllll[☠]

Not yet amigos he couldn't get to the bank yesterday before he got off he just called me tho. . He's coming over at 430 to make the trade. .pics soon

by next weekend, i am now submitting a formal request for pictures of said jeep with lift and tires on it, and a light coating of mud. If mud doesn't happen, i will extend the expected deadline another week.

Can we smith that. .mud first then lift? Still trying to decide a lift. . Don't wanna spend alot on it but im sure well end up with a fortune in it. . Who makes a good lift for those jeeps? ? And is there anything you should replace ahead of time to avoid dw

Back