Got a K&N

Green97TJ

Well i finally broke down the other nite and bought the drop in K&N filter (the one that fits in the factory airbox). I got the drop in cuz the air tube intakes make me nervous with the filter just out in the open like that. But anyway, it does seem to make a little more power in the higher RPMs, such as when im pulling onto the highway. Hopefully it will help out the gas mileage too.

Now i know a lot of people say that the extra power is all in the drivers head, but before yall start telling me that let me mention one more thing. That MIGHT be the case normally, although i have no experience with it so i cant really tell for sure. But in my situation, my jeep has 82k miles on it, and im pretty sure the filter i took out was the one they put in it at the factory. So that could explain the difference i feel in power.

Anyhow, just thought id let yall know about my latest investment :lol:

Nathan

think of it this way, would K&N spend millions on research and development to give the customer a false sense of performance gains? Or would they actually put that money in making a filter that gives you maximum performance in that area... I say it helps, its just that the gain is small in comparison to the rest of the engine. Who can "feel" a 5 HP change anyway? But when coupled with performance engine componets that work together you squeeze every drop of power out of that thing.

I got one, and I love it.

image-missing.png

I put the K&N drop in type in my Grand Cherokee V8 and according to the computer I am averaging 1.5 miles per gallon more than before. I really just did it cause i had a couple extra bucks burning a hole in my pocket when I was at pepboys getting oil for an oil change. But I am glad its doing something.

ok, where's the restrictor? i didnt think there was a removable part....

In the tube that goes from the air box to the throttle body, there's a tapered insert inside at the airbox. Yank it.

Airflow questions

Just picked up a K&N filter myself on ebay today. Only $30.00, brand new! Can't wait till it gets here (and I yank the airflow restrictor too!).

joopin built his own intake system and put on a K/N filter on the end... and remember... whatever you let in, you have to let out... so free up that exhaust as well

TwistedCopper said:
In the tube that goes from the air box to the throttle body, there's a tapered insert inside at the airbox. Yank it.

Thanks.. thats gonna be my next mod looks like.. i've been thinking of getting the K&N... if it gets me a little better oomph, maybe my OD will stop downshifting every time i hit a hill (started this ever since i went up a tire size, need just a tad more power i think)

I have the cold air intake tube and Mine Gets extremely dirty, but never allows water into the engine! plus with my TB spacer, I like the whistle too, makes me think I have a turbospooling down! hehe

I yanked that stupid restrictor a long time ago. Figured even if it didnt do much it couldnt hurt. I think it helped a little. As to the freeing up the exhaust, that takes a lil more money then i have, so its not going to happen anytime soon.

Nathan

Home made discos

Wow I am almost late for work, got lost in Joopin's Picture Album. Great pics, especially for guys like me that have hardly any tools, no garage, and not much know how even if I did. Hey we can always dream and then pay somebody to do it. Hey I can clean a mean bathroom, just ask my wife. LOL

MAYBE 1.5hp AT MOST for removal of the restrictor

Snitty said:
MAYBE 1.5hp AT MOST for removal of the restrictor

according to numrerous websites, the restrictor was installed to reduce the HP of the 4.0l by 10HP, thats where i'm basing it on.... and i would say i'm seeing more than 1.5HP, i don't think you'd even notice that litttle difference, and I can feel it....

While we're on the topic of airfilters and K&N are there any ways to install a K&N Filter on a '77 CJ5 with a 258 I6 ??

Back