Grinding rear end and radiator

sightsrv

Hi, Cant afford a shop. Hope you guys can help me DIY. Put short my Jeep when turning left or right grinds very bad from the back end. I thinks its the rear axle. Only at very low speed. Sounds like its gonna just fall apart. Its so bad the jeep seems to shake and lift up to whatever way your turning. Also have found a leak in the top left corner drivers side of the radiator. Have found after market sites on the web for as low as $99 bucks for a 99 GCL with a 4.7 but they add if, ands or butts to if it will fit and say "well you will need this or that".

Anyone have this problem?

sounds like your spider gears have gone out, or if you have a locker or limited slip rear, its locking up. my guess is its time for a rebuild. with the radiator, if the hole is small enough see if you can get some of the gunk that plugs the hole so you don't have to buy a new one. if you have to get a new one, check a junk yard first

X2 on the bone yard. If you get $100 new one on ebay you might have problems. A good new radiator will run you about $160. And if you can find a good one at the bone yard you should expect to pay $25 - $50. As far as your rear grinding noise, check all the ujoints before you open the differential!

I had the rad go out on my 97XJ last year, I called all over and got answers from the rad I WANTED was no longer available to it would cost me $265 to yeah can get for $418;
I went to Advance ordered their "Heatbuster" for $190; it was what I wanted; copper/brass instead of plastic/alum; and 2-row instead of single row. lifetime warranty, and American made!!
I could buy those alum/plastic POS' all day long for $99-129; across the counter for the XJ; NOT at all what I wanted..
problem whenever I called the rad shops instead of parts stores for a quote,was that they were all reluctant to just sell me the radiator; all wanted to put in FOR me; at substantial extra cost over the numbers I listed above;

I have replaced the one in my TJ twice now; and I was quite ****ed the last time, that the rad the guy got for me not only wasn't American made, it's KOREAN!!!!!! and "only" a 2 yr warranty! and I even requested USA (or even canadian) made...... I have had that TJ since Y2K; and hope I can hang onto it for at least another 10 years. but I won't be happy if that means a new radiator every few years. what's wrong with wanting Made in USA? but when you get it, you pay a huge "penalty" for buying product made where we all live. it should be the other way around.

volaredon said:
I had the rad go out on my 97XJ last year, I called all over and got answers from the rad I WANTED was no longer available to it would cost me $265 to yeah can get for $418;
I went to Advance ordered their "Heatbuster" for $190; it was what I wanted; copper/brass instead of plastic/alum; and 2-row instead of single row. lifetime warranty, and American made!!
I could buy those alum/plastic POS' all day long for $99-129; across the counter for the XJ; NOT at all what I wanted..
problem whenever I called the rad shops instead of parts stores for a quote,was that they were all reluctant to just sell me the radiator; all wanted to put in FOR me; at substantial extra cost over the numbers I listed above;

I have replaced the one in my TJ twice now; and I was quite ****ed the last time, that the rad the guy got for me not only wasn't American made, it's KOREAN!!!!!! and "only" a 2 yr warranty! and I even requested USA (or even canadian) made...... I have had that TJ since Y2K; and hope I can hang onto it for at least another 10 years. but I won't be happy if that means a new radiator every few years. what's wrong with wanting Made in USA? but when you get it, you pay a huge "penalty" for buying product made where we all live. it should be the other way around.

Ditto

If you are only getting grinding in the lower speeds they it is defiantly bad u-joints, replace those first. Differential gears typically don't go bad for no reason, usually a broken axle housing is the cause.

For the radiator: before you go out and buy a new one try adding a radiator sealer additive to the coolant. If it's not getting a large abuse then that should work and it will get any other pin holes that china messed up on lol

Understand. Thats what will do. Went the other route on a 95 I had. It ran hot all the time until I did the right thing and spent a few bucks more. In fact got it from Advance to. Shoulda done that to start with. Thanks Much!!

If you are only getting grinding in the lower speeds they it is defiantly bad u-joints, replace those first. Differential gears typically don't go bad for no reason, usually a broken axle housing is the cause.

For the radiator: before you go out and buy a new one try adding a radiator sealer additive to the coolant. If it's not getting a large abuse then that should work and it will get any other pin holes that china messed up on lol

Yes, only when turning at low speed. Very low speed like 1 to 3 miles an hour turning sharp. I had a 95wj did the same thing. Very strange though drivers side cv joint was clicking also grinding the same from the rear. CV joint went out,fixed it and never heard the grinding again. Makes no sense I know but theres no doubt it was coming from the rear. Thats whats got
me confused. No cv joint clicking on this one. Maybe had nothing to do
with it, just dont know.

Rad has a nasty crack drivers side top even jb weld I cant get to work.
Best to take the other posters advice and buy "homeland". Thanks Much!!

Back