hard top options

yjmudder90

i hate taking off my hard top.it is too much of a p.i.t.a. Is there anything i can do to make this easier like cut the top in half and put hinges on it so it can fold back. I want to be able to take it off myself but need something i can do for cheap until I get my soft top.

I was going to say "get a soft top"........but I noticed you mentioned that in your post. I'm a die-hard rag-topper............if I wanted a hard top, I would have bought a "car". Sorry I'm of no help, but I do feel your pain.

Make ya up a system with a rope and pulley and attach it to the roof of the garage so you can lift it up that way. I wouldnt go cuttin it in half unless u like the rain drippin down on your head. Even if you put some kind of rubber seal in there i would bet it will still leak.

That's why I sold mine. There is no way to put it on / take it off by yourself unless you have a garage and you can install a lift. I don't think there is a solution until you get that soft top.

You can get a two piece hard top... I take mine off by myself all the time. Not easy to do, but doable nonetheless! And I'll tell you, for daily driving, I'll take the hard top over the soft top any day.

gotta agree w/the pully system - thats what i had for my old 91 sahara - used a comealong and pulleys with some simple clips.... easy on/off and it just stayed there till i wanted again (storage built in...) if you dont have that option, muscle is the only other alternative....

You can get a two piece hard top... I take mine off by myself all the time. Not easy to do, but doable nonetheless! And I'll tell you, for daily driving, I'll take the hard top over the soft top any day.

Man, Felipe, you live in Miami!?!?!? I'm surprised you run a top at all!!!:purple: :purple: :purple: :purple: (except, of course, for those Florida rains).

Really it's a 2 man operation. Cutting the top will ruin it's value and I doubt you could do it and have a leak-free set up.

Man, Felipe, you live in Miami!?!?!? I'm surprised you run a top at all!!!:purple: :purple: :purple: :purple: (except, of course, for those Florida rains).

I thought the same at first (actually bought the rig with a soft top), but it rains all the time, it gets TOO hot, and because it is a big city, theft is a big concearn... So I bought the hard top, and only take it off on the weekends when I go cruising and the weather is nice.

Twisted,

It's not a cut single piece hard-top; it's a targa style top, that is made in 2 pieces. I have not had a problem with leaks in the joint (I have had some problems with the rear window, but that has nothing to do with the targa part) except for one time I did not latch it correctly (user error). It is still over 100#, so a hoist would be the better option if you have a place to use it...

Felipe

If you look in the Quadratec or the 4wheeler supply sites you can find several options for hart top removal such as clips for a pulley system and a tilt type of cart that stores your hard top up-right. if no garage is available...a 6 pack and a couple of friends works.

Back