Has he ruined the Jeep?

Poetess

My son sold his 2001 Grand Cherokee, with 96K miles, four months ago to a woman who bought it as a gift for her 22 year old son to use and enjoy while she was living and working in Iraq. Her son was disappointed because he wanted a more fuel-efficient vehicle.....as his job did not pay much more than minimum wage. Still, he was living at home, all expenses paid, and the mother felt he could surely pay for his gasoling to and from work....only five miles away. In late January, the mother returned for a 2 week visit and took the Jeep in for an oil change and general fluid check, etc. The Jiffy-Lube tech told her the Jeep had only one quart of oil in it! A few days later she took the Jeep to a mechanic who told her there was no oil leak and the vehicle seemed to be in good condition. (My son had taken excellent care of the Jeep and had told the woman when he sold it that it used about one half qt of oil every 3000 to 4000 miles....he knew this because that's how often he changed the oil.) As it turns out, the young man had not changed or checked the oil while he drove it those 4 months. And, he (or someone) put 8K miles on it during this brief period. The Jeep now has 104K miles. The lady wants to sell it now and I am interested in it as a second vehicle for ocassional driving. I always loved the vehicle when my son had it and considered buying it but couldn't justify the luxury at the time.
My son doesn't like the idea that the vehicle was driven so many miles while low on oil or that the kid didn't even bother to get it checked or changed. But, I'm thinking it may be fine now that everything checks out by a professional mechanic and it had no obvious indication of any problems. And, since the kid had it for only four months.....it would have been low on oil for only a brief time.
My question: could driving the Jeep for thousands of miles without adding oil permanently damage internal parts? Would you buy this vehicle if you could get it for $5K to 6K? It's fully loaded and appears to be in the same condition as when my son sold it.

Thank you for any opinions or advice you care to offer!:???:

If the low oil condition caused a problem, you would know it. I'd buy it and use that knowledge as leverage to try to get a better price.

If the Engine is not Knocking and still maintains a good oil pressure, Heck yeah i'd buy it..

Back