heater housing

kosmo

I replaced the fan (heater) on my 79 CJ-5 with the chevy blazer motor... anywho I need a new heater housing or the dampers in it.mine are all jacked up. quadratec doesnt have them, the dealer I called laughed at me and called my jeep an antique. I am replacing my heater control cables and want to replace the housing. where do I find one?[addsig]

my idea would be to go play around in the wrecking yards, you might get lucky and find a good housing. I was wondering, is the blazer blower motor the same but has more output? Do you have to enlarge the opening or what?[addsig]

The Blazer/Pick up blower motor is bigger and has a bigger fan,you may need to enlarge the hole in the jeep a little,I did.[addsig]

there are a couple web sites that have detailed instructions and photos of each step. I n your search engine type in something like jeep heater upgrade and a couple options will come up also somebody posted the exact site on here scroll back. But anyways yes you have to enlarge to whole by about a inch. I used a hacksaw with a special handle to cut in a small whole. a dremel tool would work great. I used the bottom of a super size McDonalds drink cup as a pattern for how big the whole should be.Things that I learned It wasnt quite as easy as I thought. The hardest part was aligning everything to put back in. The motor shaft for the chevy is longer so buy some thick washers to space it out from the housing so your hamster wheel spins without rubbing. If you need to replace your heater core do it then make sure the part that the power wire hooks on to is down by the drain (you'll see). Test each part through different stages. check your fan right out of the box, then when you get it in the housing. after you put the housing on, and before you hook up all your cables. Make sure all your dampers and eveything move how it is supposed to. I am taking mine back out to fix all the cables my fresh air and everything doesnt work now. I know.... to much info huh. But the power is a big difference I recomend it[addsig]

Back