Hello Everyone, From The Southwest Desert Reach

Robert_Stephens

Hi everyone,

Got a mail from the admin here to revisit as I had been away for awhile. Great new stuff and post from everyone. Wonderful. I am now in Las Cruces, and have been for the last 2 years. Good country, this, down near the border like this. Been doing a lot of runs down south and west and east of here.

Been doing down into "The Big Grand Empty" and the "The Southwest Desert Commons" and further down to the border to the entrance to the Chihuahua Desert Reach, into the great sand commons of the Mexican frontier. Been fun and warm here, about 70-85 or so this year. Good country.

Here is some photos of me and VEX, my 1983 Jeep CJ7 and some of my runs up till now in the last few weeks.

Thanks,

Robert

Attachments

• DesertReach1d.jpg
    DesertReach1d.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 320
  • DesertReach1i.jpg
    DesertReach1i.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 150
  • DesertReach1o.jpg
    DesertReach1o.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 632
  • VEX-Excursion1a.jpg
    VEX-Excursion1a.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 2,012
Last edited:

Here is a few shots of VEX and Trailer and VEX's "hat" on......

Attachments

• 3.Robert.jpg
    3.Robert.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 815
  • Vex-Trailer.jpg
    Vex-Trailer.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 3,622
  • VEX-Wheel-Travel.jpg
    VEX-Wheel-Travel.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 3,280

I like your jeep man. Looks like you're really set to tackle anything in your way.

that color looks great. reminds me of being in 3rd id at ft benning with our sand colored hmmvs. where did you happen to find it at?

good looking solid jeep you go also, get to travel the desert in her, like a pioneer. i bet you love your job.

that color looks great. reminds me of being in 3rd id at ft benning with our sand colored hmmvs. where did you happen to find it at?

good looking solid jeep you go also, get to travel the desert in her, like a pioneer. i bet you love your job.

Thank you very much. VEX was a total when I got it 20 years ago. I rebuilt it and it has evolved to this point. It has 1,1875,521 miles on it, on 5 IL 6 engines. It has been in 123 of the world's 195 countries. It is set up for overseas shipping so it is set to go outside the US.

The tan color I adopted from my 4th Jeep back, in 1972, and all the rest, 24 of them since have been that Desert Tan color. It is Cummins Diesel Engine paint and I rattle can it once a year. The trailer is the same color.

All 24 of my 26 Jeeps past has been that tan color. It is based on the color of WW2 Jeeps used in and for the LRDG-(Long Range Desert Group) in North Africa and by the SAS Group, both British and American, against the German Afrika Korp.

Thank you for your good words and comments.

Robert

Last edited:

Amazing. That is just really neat. Glad to have you back.

i think i am going to paint mine that color also, in honor of the 3rd id out of kelly hill, fort benning, ga.

that is an amazing history on your jeep though, tons of loved miles in many many countries. i can tell you love your jeep

i think i am going to paint mine that color also, in honor of the 3rd id out of kelly hill, fort benning, ga.

that is an amazing history on your jeep though, tons of loved miles in many many countries. i can tell you love your jeep

Well, again, for you too, hat is tipped and thank you so much. Yes, I do so love Jeeps with a passion and have for these 46 years. VEX has been my most favorite and once it was dialed up, never wanted to upgrade. I do howvever play with the idea of ramping up and am doing this with the new JK, but am so terribly disappointed with what I am now learning. And too, the new ones are for the US-- they would never leave the dock in foreign countries.

That color has worked so well for me over the last 40 years its just a given. Here is the details:

Engine Enamel:Specialty | PlastiKote Paint Products

Thank you for the fine post and re-welcome here.

Robert

Last edited:

Just so I know what I wanna be when I grow up, what is your job again?

I am and have been for some 28 years jow, a contract field archaeologist-artist for NASA. Its been good in that I had hoped when I got into this, I could take my Jeep(s) into the field with me. I have.

Thank you,

Robert

Attachments

• R-A-Vex17.jpg
    R-A-Vex17.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 314
cool cj love the color. by the way is that montana plates on there?

Yes, when I left Montana the last time 6 years ago and closed down all ties there after daddy passed on, I just never could quit the plate. Montana is and was a great big part of my growing up. With all the "official" callouts on VEX, it's never a problem, ever for overseas shipping, nor here in the US either.

Now that I am back in my home country (USA) here in NM, I will have to bite the bullet and get a NM plate, which is killer cool looking anyway:

nm20082-1.jpg

Thank you,

Robert

You should get the turquoise plate.... I'm here in Roswell about 3hours from you!

You should get the turquoise plate.... I'm here in Roswell about 3hours from you!

Oh wow, a neighbor. Finally. Good. I thought of that with the blue but I love the "Zona Azteca" color since the yellow and red express the sun and the pepper, both life sources here, for the landscape.

Are you available to go down to the Coralittos Reach, down out to Chihuahuan Desert?

Robert

Thx for the invite but from ur posts looks like i would need passport and I'm fresh out of those....btw VEXis a good looking jeep

Did I see your into Arch? I have my minor in sallied archaeology

Back