HELP quick, surfing trip in jeporady

kdh344

All of a sudden all 3 brake lights went out. Doesnt matter if the headlights are on or not the brake lights will not work. Fuse and bulbs are good. Any ideas what the problem is? (A seach I did revealed something about a switch by the brake pedal but it didnt go into much detail) Thanks in advance. Oh, btw, I'd like to go surfing today if this can get fixed asap.

Most vehicles have a switch on or near the brake pedal that when the pedal is pushed in it activates the switch to turn on the brake lights.The switch is normally very basic.If you push the switch in by hand and no brake lights you should be able to bypass the switch to see if it is the switch or something else.Another thing to check is the ground on the tail lights.DO the tail lights work at all or is just the brake lights.If it is only the brake light and not the tail lights i think there is a relay module.Also may want to check the wiring harness for cuts.I know on my TJ the wiring runs on the under lip of the top of the tub.

To test for a bad ground take apart the brake light and use a meter or light tester on the power wire and a good ground on the frame.Have someone step on the brakes if you have power then it is most likely a bad ground on the lights.

Sorry, Caffeine has not kicked in yet. Check the circuits on the Brake lamp switch. Follow the brake pedal up about past the mid-section and you will see the Switch. Here's the wiring diagram.

Attachments

• TJ Rear Brake circuits.gif
    TJ Rear Brake circuits.gif
    21.2 KB · Views: 71
I agree if the fuses are good but all the brake lights stopped working at once then its the brake light switch. When you find it above the brake its an easy change. 1 nut 1 wire faster to unclip and its done.

I agree if the fuses are good but all the brake lights stopped working at once then its the brake light switch. When you find it above the brake its an easy change. 1 nut 1 wire faster to unclip and its done.

I assume this is a dealer item and not auto parts store?

Back