help removing steering stabilizer

geopig

Hi all,

So I picked up a new steering stabilizer (Procomp ES2000) for my 91 YJ. However I am having a heck of a time getting the old (original) steering stabilizer off of the tie rod. The new one seems to have replacment parts for the tie rod end (i.e., a bolt to go through the tie rod) but I can't get it off. Quite frankly I'm not sure whether it screws into the tie rod or just slides through. The Haynes manual tells me to use a puller (which I've tried) but that doesn't seem to work. I've PB blasted the connections for a couple of days prior to today but nothing is budging. Any ideas out there? Does anyone know whether I should be unscrewing this bolt or sliding it through? Thanks a bunch in advance.

Cheers

It's a taper fit, just slides through the tierod.

I recommend hitting the side of the hole with a BFH to temporarily egg-shape the hole. This is usually enough to get the taper fits to pop loose.

Like bony said, its a taper fit.
smack the hell out of the tie rod (or isnt that the drag link?), perpendicular to how the stud goes through with a 3+lb mini sledge. it should drop right out. Just like popping out ball joints.

No love on the removal. It is in there solid. Thanks for the tips though. I guess I'll take it to my mechanic to see if he can get it out.

Back