Hesitates in 2nd gear and/or Sputters in 1st and 2nd

I contacted the seller on EBay and advised them the SMP sensor does not work with the Wrangler. They said due to the issue with the sensor, they will ship me a NTK sensor to replace the SMP (plus a mailing label to return the SMP)......... update to come

you should be able to verify if it is a harness issue by probing the harness for voltage. I don't recall the leads off hand, and never trust memory on these anyway, but you can find the voltage level online, and which pins are V+ ground and output. The V+ is the heater voltage, to the sensor and the ground is common to the heater and the output (you probably know this, but this thread is bound to become one of the most read threads for years to come due to this being the most common issue with TJs)

it seems that the average sensor doesn't react fast enough and doesn't produce sufficient voltage for the pcm in the Wranglers to work with Gotta love Chrysler, Or not...

Sorry for the delayed wait everyone. Currently still waiting for the new NTK sensor to arrive

update: got the new NTK O2 sensor in today. Going out to the garage shortly to pull the other one out and put this one in. I figured I'd unhook the battery while I install to reset the PCM. Update to follow shortly

Issue has been corrected!!!

UPDATE: Changed out the sensor last night with the new NTK. Fired up the jeep this morning and left for work as I do with my truck. The jeep didn't hesitate, spit, or sputter as it did before. There was a slight "miss" in second gear but that could have been me since I haven't drive a manual in over a week. It appears that the NTK sensor corrected the issue which baffles me more than anything.

I just wanted to take a minute to thank everyone that contributed to this thread and I hope that this will help others in the future

SUMMARY:
Replace the upstream O2 sensor with a NTK to save yourself a headache and the chasing of gremlins.

Back