Hi Jeepz, I'm new here.

thejanitor

Hi fellow Jeepz-ers, I'm Eric and I'm the proud owner of a new 1961 Willys CJ5. I have very little experience working on cars of any sort, much less Jeeps, so this will be my first undertaking with a project car, which I've always wanted to do and I've always wanted a Jeep so it works out perfect.
I'll do my best to search for answers to any questions but I'm probably going to ask a lot of questions that have already been answered. However, I promise to keep it to my own personal build thread which will probably be a long slow process as it will ALL be a learning experience for me.
So far, I haven't done too much to it other than try to get it running every time I go to start it. The first weekend I wanted to work on it at a friends house it was running. I go to head over to his house, it starts, then stalls and won't restart. Long story short, plugs got changed, it runs, I'm happy. Next planned trip out, it won't start at all, turn the key, nothing at all, not even a crank. Long story short, wire from the ignition to starter shorted out due to loose coil bracket allowing coil to slide down and touch the screw attached to the wire, replaced wire, tightened bracket, it runs, I'm happy. Put the half cab on the same weekend as the wire swap and went for a drive. I have the doors that came with the top, but they don't fit quite right. The windshield angle doesn't match the door and the door doesn't quite fit in the recessed part of the body made for the door to sit in. My options seem limited to make it work with out having to cut the doors or top or both which I'm hesitant to do seeing as I tried searching for these after finding them on Craigslist and not finding many if any for sale. It seems a shame to cut something original if it's harder to find, I think I'd rather re-sell to someone that would restore them than to ruin them with a torch.
It needs some things, maybe a lot of things, but that's what a project car is about. It runs and drives so it's a work in progress.
That's about all for now. In the very near future I'll start a build thread and show the green monster I've nicknamed FrankenJeep (D'oh, THAT should've been my screen name..)

Hi Eric, welcome to Jeepz. Be sure to include some pics in your build thread.

Thanks for the welcome Mrsig and 808CJ7. I'll try posting some pics... if I followed the directions correctly, they should pop up once I hit submit reply (I figured the pics would show up in the box where I'm typing now..). As you can see, there's some rust.. alotta rust.. the bed and floor has been replaced once already by someone who didn't really know how to weld from what i can see, which is where I came up with FrankenJeep. It looks like scars from where the diamond plate was welded in with the body. Eventually I'll try cleaning the metal to see if its any good at this point or if it should all get cut out and replaced again. My welding skills probably aren't much better than the person who did the work the first time so it'll all match if I have to replace metal... The motor is an old one, maybe not original with the rest of the jeep, but not an updated one. I have yet to crawl underneath to see whats waiting for me there.

Attachments

• 2012-04-24_14-11-37_195.jpg
    2012-04-24_14-11-37_195.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 124
  • 2012-04-24_14-12-04_923.jpg
    2012-04-24_14-12-04_923.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 113
  • 2012-04-24_14-12-10_480.jpg
    2012-04-24_14-12-10_480.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 134
  • 2012-04-24_14-12-31_827.jpg
    2012-04-24_14-12-31_827.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 127
  • 2012-04-24_14-12-46_877.jpg
    2012-04-24_14-12-46_877.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 139
  • 2012-05-12_10-31-54_572.jpg
    2012-05-12_10-31-54_572.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 141

Great looking project. There's a thread on here, 1956 CJ5 build. By la 2003. He's documenting a frame off restoration of his. There's a lot of good info and pictures on there for early cj's.

Welcome to Jeepz....sounds like your learning something everytime you try to start er up;). Looks like you've got a really good platform to start your project. Do you plan on restoring it to near stock or modifiying it?

It is definitely a project 808. I checked out that thread, it is very informative and I'm sure I'll be referring back to it.

Thanks TLCJ5. The things I've done so far have been pretty simple and basic, but I am learning and can proudly say that "I did this" or "I did that" and I'll know what has been done to it.
I can't really say what the plan is just yet. I'd like to keep it mostly stock but do some updating to it such as: possible power steering (no clue if its something easy-ish to do or need custom work to add it), suspension lift with some bigger tires, have it so it goes faster than 48 (i don't know if i need a 4 speed transmission or bigger gears in the axle or what), body work to be done but not restored more like repaired or replaced as needed (stared looking into por-15 as way to at least stop the rust now until i can do what HAS to be done).
Things like that are where i need lots of help, but that's down the road, right now i need turn signals that work and a speedometer and I'd like to figure out the door thing so the cab is out of the weather. I guess you could call it slightly modified would be what I'm going for.

come on in the mud is fine

looks to be all there

little elbow grease lots of money she'll be good as new :p

let me tell you a secret don't let no one snatch it from you
and take your time and do it right and you will be one happy jeep owner

I know the feeling I have a 54 3b
wife isn't even allowed to pull it out of garage yet alone drive it:D
I tell her CJs are for boys KJs are for girls lol

:welcome:

Last edited:
Back