HOLY QUARTS OF OIL BATMAN

kosmo

so I go to the local lube place yesterday to have the oil and evry thing changed. A buddy of mine that works there asked me how many quarts of oil does my engine take as he was filling it up. I told him I think 5 or 6 . he said cause I am up to 7 now .

It took 8
image-missing.png
quarts to fill my jeep up I have a 79 cj5 304 v-8. I think I have a different dipstick in mine or else they hold alot of oil. Can anyone with my motor measure their dipstick and tell me how long total, how long to full mark and how long to add mark and tell me how many quarts their engine takes.

This could be why I leak so much oil 1 quart every two weeks 500 miles ish [addsig]

The capacity, according to haynes, for the AMC v8's is 5 quarts, unless you have an aftermarket oil pan. I'm afraid I can't help with dipstick length. Either way, I would try to avoid running too much oil untill you figure out why your dipstick is inaccurate.

-keith[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>The 258 holds 5 or 6... the manual says six... but mine seems up to snuff after 5.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Ditto, the manual says six, but mine is in the range of 5.5-5.75, even with the biggest filter I've found. (if you go through the cj filter sizes over the years, I found three different sizes and picked the biggest one)
image-missing.png

I should backtrack my previous post slightly, if you offroad much, having a little extra oil ain't too bad because of the extreme angles jeeps can see, but I don't think I'd run more than a quart over. I do tend to run 6 in my 6, and its just a -little- high on the dipstick. JMO

-keith[addsig]

so I got my new dipstick and tube in (dont know if its different till tomorrow) when I replace the dipstick tube do I just pull the old one out and push the new one in? will I need any tools? how bout sealant? any dos or donts things to check? I know its simple but I wanna make sure there is not something simple I over looked Thanks[addsig]

from my experience, they are normally friction fit and don't need to be sealed, but I don't think they are all the same. On my six it was tight, I had to punch it out from the bottom to not wreck the tube. You may end up clamping on to it and yanking hard to get the old one out, or it may fall out. hopefully the new one fits snug enough to seal, I'm not sure what the best sealant would be, possibly permatex form-a-gasket if its required.

-keith[addsig]

Back