Hub bearing Q what's the difference?

volaredon

I had to replace the hub bearings on my '97 XJ yesterday; my typical parts source was closed at the time I did it; at 6:30-ish PM on a Saturday I have 2 places to get parts from around here; either Useless Zone or Advance;
I called both; they both had 2 different possibilities in stock; one at $70-some/ea and $110 for "Timken" at Useless Zone or $130 for "National" at Advance; typically I won't even consider the "cheap" or "house brand" parts, and go for the better more expensive version; the old "you get what you pay for" but also usually with the more expensive part the warranty is also better; in this case it didn't matter which ones I chose; the warranty was still only a year; so I figured that with no better warranty, the more expensive choice in this case must not be any better than the cheap alternative; I also cringe on Chinese made anything; none of the choices available to me was made in the USA;
so I wound up going cheap, but replacing both sides instead of "just" the one that was currently noisey; I mean, samd age same miles, the other one probably wasnt that far behind in going bad.

and besides getting what I "pay for", I also usually rationalize the "better" (more costly) part in that I am not paying a shop's markup or labor so even with the better parts I am still money ahead vs taking it in to "have" done. which I NEVER do; nobody touches my vehicles but me.

what's your experiences on different brands of hub bearings????
is it worth spending the extra money in this case for the name brand??

no one has ever changed a hub bearing? I find that hard to believe..... any thoughts?

I have not had to change mine in my jeep yet, but on my wife's Chevy venture van, I put the cheap bearing, (because I am a cheap *******) and it has performed well for the last 2-3 years. Of course I am not suggesting that cheaper is better, but, metalurgy has come a long way.Get the good stuff if you can afford it, but don't feel bad if you have to get the cheap stuff.
Just my .02

Last edited:
I think the only way to truly tell which brand is better is to get bearing part number from the factory (etched into the side of the bearing sometimes on the outer race) that made the bearings and try to Google the specs of each individual brand and see if they list different load specs and the such. Usually it comes down to paying for the better warranty if theres a price difference and a core charge so they can re-manufacturer the hub assembly and resell the part.

there is no core charge, I have never seen "reman" hub bearings.

Let me know if I'm wrong but that comes as a hub Assembly correct? In any case I was told by many parts store clerks {that are not mechanics} That any part that is aftermarket are better then OE.. What a crock.. You hit on the dot when you said "better warranty "thats the biggest but not only difference, some "better" parts are built so Much better. When at a parts store ask to see two or three different brands of say - sway bar links, you will be amazed at the difference in the quality of the cheaps and the "better" ones. Always compare parts just like you would oil or for that matter fruit at the store. It works for me. Good luck and have fun.

but again; (I THINK I mentioned this before maybe not) the only difference I see is the name on the box and the price; SAME FREAKING WARRANNTY between the cheap stuff and the more expensive; that's why I am asking this....

but again; (I THINK I mentioned this before maybe not) the only difference I see is the name on the box and the price; SAME FREAKING WARRANNTY between the cheap stuff and the more expensive; that's why I am asking this....
Id have to say go with the better part. Is this the store warranty or manufacturer warranty? Some times there are two. although 1 year on a Bering is about normal I think.

Timken is the factory equipment for Jeeps, and they're always better then the cheapo chinese store brands. Its like comparing the store brand to Spicer brand parts. And Timken is made in the USA, always a plus! lol
So ya id go with the Timkens if at all possible.

Last edited:
Timken is the factory equipment for Jeeps, and they're always better then the cheapo chinese store brands. Its like comparing the store brand to Spicer brand parts. And Timken is made in the USA, always a plus! lol
So ya id go with the Timkens if at all possible.
Not so; the part about all Timkens made in the US any more; I have bought alot of bearings and seals over the years; I was a pro "wrench" for the better part of 20 years; and over the last 3-5, I have seen ALOT of Timken that is listed as made elsewhere; Mexico Korea Brazil and beyond....... or is that only the ones they sell to Auto Zone????? (meaning that all the rest of Timkens are in fact made here; that would be easy, just buy my Timkens somewhere else!)

On XJ, ZJ 91-98 in my experience the more expensive options had to do with ABS tone rings; or composite / one piece design brake rotors.
Also the OEM "Jeep" hubs after 1995 came from either mexico or canada 1/2 the time anyway, Prolly US made steel and bearings assm elswhere for labor cost?!:x

When on bigger wheels and tires, bigger $$ is better is a real good theory, better warrentee or not.
Luckily My bearings are still good. I have some buddies that used aftermarket bearings from cheap and better stores. Then need new ones 1-2 years later. Then Spend the extra $$ for OEM bearings and lasted + 5 years. Both units looked identical, same brand name one bearing itself. Go figure:scratch:

If the store has them both in stock have a look at them both and see which is better quality.

I installed a set of off shore wheel bearings in my TJ,I noticed that all the metal seemed thinner than the factory ones that were on it,flange were wheel bolts on was thinner ,flange were it bolts to the knuckle was thinner,they seem to be working though

If you look on the actual bearing race most use timken bearings anyways. Usually the price diff is new or reman.

Very well could be volaredon, the ones advanced sold me when I replaced mine a few months ago had made in the usa stamped on it but that's just 1 case, so I wouldn't doubt it man lol

Back