Hummer Vs. XJ

So, fuzzy bunny, Have at your H1 you are welcome to it, but don't let it sink into your brain that, the ones that don't want the Hummer, are "fools."

"fuzzy bunny"?!?! :shock:

dick_wilderness said:
You would have to do alot of "building it" if you wanted to justify trading it for H1 or wanted it to be as capable as one.

I would have to disagree. I would put my jeep against any H1 out there. And still save 70 - 80k. Maybe I can buy a house with the money left over.

"Compact device on the H1 that is really a mini gearbox on the wheel. It takes incoming torque and further steps it down to a ration of 1.92:1. This effectively delivers twice the torque to each wheel. That, combined with the rest of the drivetrain, gives the H1 a total gear reduction of 33:1."

Ya the Military must be crazy for ditching the jeep for H1s.....

Anyone Local want to put there Stock Jeep up against a Stock H1 ?
No, Then Shut Up.

The Military ditched the Jeep for the HMMWV due to the need for a Weapons pod, Troop carrier, Van usage, and the need for a ride that didn't flip as easy.

It is a Very capable machine, but TOO damn big. Try taking the H1 to Tug's place and ride those trails. If a CJ 5 has to hug the wall and still has a wheel hanging off, a H1 has no chance.

Again I revert to, I would never trade a Jeep for a Hummer. Just doesn't fit my type of riding. And that does NOT make me a "fool" and I need not "shut up"

I used to drive the military hummers and they stink wen put against a Jeep Wrangler. I took a $50 bet from a rich guy here in town that I could go places that he couldn't. The compramise was that we could not run any trails to narrow for him and we could not go through water over my fender. I took his money in less than 3 minutes. I went up a rock hill that he could not make it up. The military switched not because of the capability but because of the armorment that the humvee could handle. Lets not forget that the true humvees are still an American motors design, and vehicle. AM General was a co-company of American Motors and General Motors that is why mopar sued GM for using the grill on the H2. Just my 2 cents

Thats a great story but thats all it is. This picture tells another story.

image-missing.png

According to your theory ecor Astrovans are better than Jeeps, because it could traverse an obstacle the Jeep couldn't. Right?

I knew someone was gonna have an "I saw this" story. Theres a million of em.

77 cj7 crawler

The hummer is very capable in many situations. It would be great for desert were it does not matter if you are that wide. You just can't get a hummer down most of the trails that I have been on.

If compareing you need to take into acount the money factor. You can not say stock jeep verses stock hummer. The hummer cost over $100,000 so you have to allow the jeep owner to match that, besides I think the Rubicon could beat the hummer in just about everything for 1/4 of the money. Personally I would not buy a hummer but is one was given to me I would be glad to sell it and pay off some bills.

Again I revert to, I would never trade a Jeep for a Hummer. Just doesn't fit my type of riding. And that does NOT make me a "fool" and I need not "shut up"
I'm with ya' L33TJ33P. The way this thread is goin' I figured you'd be coming in with another "fuzzy bunny" :mrgreen:

If you would not trade a Jeep for a H1, then you really belong in a jeep.

As for the 50.00 bet... I remember trying to bet someone before, But I got no takers.

Nah, I quit commenting on the thread. I decided that an arguement wasn't what this all was about. The Video shows a Hummer that can't make it and 2+ Jeeps that can. It was funny, not arguement material.

But I admit, Opinions are like buttholes. Everybody has one and they all stink.

Here............. we.............. go............ again!

First of all, there are situations where either of those vehicles would render the other worthless. Same could be said for most trail capable vehicles. Same could be said when comparing my YJ and my XJ. Which one is better? that could go 8 pages easy :lol:

Fact is, an H1 is alot of money. I don't even know how much, but I'd guess 100K? For a fraction of that you could build a Jeep to out perform it.

Would I trade my Jeep for an H1? Well if someone was stupid enough to trade a $100K vehicle for my YJ or my XJ then you bet your @$$ I would. Then I'd sell it because I couldn't afford to keep gas in it, I couldn't afford to buy parts for it, I couldn't afford to maintain it, and quite frankly as cool as they are and as cool as they look, my passion is for Jeeps. Besides, I could buy 2 Jeeps and build the heck out of both of them for what I sold the H1 for. I don't hate H1's (I'm guilty of strenuously not liking H2's though!). H1's are awesome vehicles, just not what I would want.

This has been beat to death before, but really! The 2 vehicles are not built for or capable of the same things.

As for that Astro Van pulling out a Jeep, I think that was all part of Rathergate and it was a fake :lol:

The design of any jeep product and an H1 can not be compared. Jeep is developing concept vehicles to compete with the H1. If you research the development, you will see a similar resemblance between the H1 and the concept vehicles from jeep. The question is why?

A standard jeep could not out perform an H1 in many situations, but there are a few instances where it could. The video highlighted the alternative line that was chosen by both jeeps. The question is: could the jeeps have completed the same line as the H1 had selected? It is a fact that the H1 did select a more aggressive line, and the jeeps did follow the H1's line.

If the goal was to down play the H1, then the jeeps should have completed the same line. That would have been an achievement. The jeep drivers in the video picked better lines, but I bet the H1 could have went around his first line with ease just like the jeeps.

dick_wilderness said:
You can get an H1 for 25,000$ almost the same price as a used / new rubicon.
Sure, a '94. What can you buy a '94 YJ for? uh, $5K for a real nice one. Still leaves $20K worth of mods.

dick_wilderness said:
And the astrovan is very real.

I know. It was a joke.

I hope you understood the point I was trying to get across was to not compare them but to compare the costs -vs- what they can do.

Buy a decent YJ for $3K, add $3K for a YJLA kit from RE, another $1K for tires/wheels, even if you spent another $10K for driveshaft(s), axles, gears, lockers, and armor you still wouldn't have met that auction's reserve price(and you could do it cheaper).

stinkycheeseman said:
A standard jeep could not out perform an H1 in many situations, but there are a few instances where it could.

If you factor in the Rubicon I think there would be more than a few instances. The smaller size, lighter weight, and shorter wheelbase gives it a huge advantage in many cases.

If someone wants to give me an H1, I'll take it! PM me for my address...actually, I'll come pick it up where ever it is!

you're not talking about the same "rubicon" ??? I think I towed a few of them. I know more "rubicons" break then H1s.. Thats a fact. Maybe jeep needs to add dana 60s to the line up, and really kill the ground clearence...

yeah that astro van is quite real.....he was tugging that old jeep around because it was busted not stuck. the nubicon tj probably would kill the hummer until it broke something. jeeps are a great out of the box 4x4, but there are some weak components. will I trade my jeep for another truck? depends how sweet the deal is, I am not attached. Although I do prefer jeeps.

Is someone giving away an H1???? Ill take it, just let me know. I will sell it and build one hell of a jeep.

Back