Hydroplaning

klkb

I'm used to driving a Sequoia and clearly driving my Wrangler is VERY different. Is it my imagination, or does the Jeep hydroplane a whole lot easier than the Sequoia? Lots of nasty rain today, and I hydroplaned at a point where I wouldn't have thought twice about driving the Sequoia. It made me pretty nervous. I'm not sure if it's because the Jeep's tires are bigger than I'm used to or because the Sequoia was so much bigger, but it's a huge adjustment. Kind of like comparing a carousel to bumper cars.

Probably a combination of everything you mentioned...
Not sure how much your jeep weighs.. But probably not as much as the sequoia...
and if you aren't used to the 35s... That alone can make things feel worse than they really are...
You'll just have to get a feel for how your jeep responds as new situations present themselves... And before you know it you won't even remember what it was like to drive the Toyota;-)

[☠]lllllll[☠] 89 YJ ...SOA +6.5...44"Trxus' I Love my dirtYJeep! [☠]lllllll[☠]

every machine is diffrent like lilredyj said ya just got to get a feel for your machine,and mentally remind yourself when ya switch vechicles how it responds. Like, I'm a machinest,and I can use 2 diffrent lathes,same model and equipment,but they will respond diffrently. You have 2 diffrent creatures your dealing with,just gotta feel them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Al lot goes into it> I lived in NEPa for a long time and didn't have an issue. Moved to Dayton OH and I hydroplane quite a bit. Same tires. Low miles. It could be teh higher temps, different road material. Longer times between rain to wash deposits off teh roadway. Some tings to check on your jeep is tire pressure, ware and alignment. Those items you control and could lead to hydroplaining easier.

Since you mention tire pressure, it seems that might be something that would be causing a few issues I'm having. The tires are brand new 35" Trail Grappler MTs, which I believe are to be good both on the road and off. What should the tire pressure be? The Jeep itself kind of bounces all over the place, and gets the most ridiculous gas mileage possible, about 230 miles/tank on the road. Is this normal? I also had to send it back as soon as I got it because the speedometer was reading about 10mph slower than it should. Having to be so ultra-careful is taking some of the fun out of it. Also, roughly how much gas do I have left when the light comes on? The Sequoia told me, and now I have to guess. I don't want to find out the hard way, and it's hard to gauge with the gas mileage being so much slower. Sorry- that was a lot of questions!

There is between 2 and 4 gallons of gas left when you hit E. To figure mpg you need to divide the 230 by the amount of gas to refill. It is most accurate when you go from full to empty. Anywhere in between and 0.1 gal makes a big swing in the calculation. Also the corrected Speedo will make a difference. I've seen mpg reported from 13 mpg city to 17 mpg city with 35's and 3 inch lift.

To achieve the correct tire pressure there is a chalk test you could do to maximize surface contact and get consistent tier ware.

wow!!!!! you guys get between 13 and 17 with a lift and monster tires??!?!?? holy crap!!!! i am getting 11 in town and 15 on the highway with stock tires and no lift. i need to lift mine to get better mileage.

i think i am being rude but am not trying to be.

Klkb: now that they have re-calibrated the speedo... Your trip odometer should now be accurate and you can check the gas mileage ...( if it was -10mph off the 230 is less than actual)

SuperJ: dude... CC is one of the most windy places I've ever driven... I'm impressed you get ANY mpg;-)
And while I'm pretty sure lift+tires will NOT improve your gas mileage... You may be able to use the info/concept to justify those new springs you want;-)

It was fixed last week. I'm noticing today that it's getting better gas mileage, will be great if it stays consistent. I started yesterday with a full tank, which I guess is 22.5 gallons according to the book, and it sounds like I'll have a gallon or two when the light goes on... I should have it figured out by Saturday.

It will be a decent starting estimate... But run it till the light comes on.... Then fill it up and just jot down the actual number of gallons you pump in... See how close you are to the 22.5 it allegedly holds.... That'll give you an idea of how many gallons are typically left when the light comes on...
Reset your trip odometer and have fun till the little light comes on again... Zip over and fill it up.... Jot down the number of gallons you pumped this time... For 2 reasons... 1. To see if the light is consistent (roughly... Just to be sure of what it means)
2. To calculate your mpg for that tank of gas... Trip odometer# / # gallons pumped

Sorry bout the impromptu math lesson... Just the teacher/mom in me ;-)

Yeah, I used to keep a close eye on the MPGs with my Sequoia. The last year or so it declined a bit. It has the same tank size as the Jeep, which is why I was so unhappy about the MPGs with the Jeep. For the same tank size, I got 90 less miles out of it. Gah!!! By logic, if the tanks are the same size and both vehicles are reported to have almost the same MPGs... train A arrived three minutes before train B.

I love teachers. I employ them! What do you teach? :)

Alternative/juvenile justice program
.. High school physics/chem/bio
Before that
Behavior Interventionist/ case Mgmt
But I am certified for
SpecEd pk-12;
GenEd pk-8 ; 6-8 history and
Pk-12 all level principal/mid Mgmt
And have engaged in all of them at some point;-)

Alternative/juvenile justice program
.. High school physics/chem/bio
Before that
Behavior Interventionist/ case Mgmt
But I am certified for
SpecEd pk-12;
GenEd pk-8 ; 6-8 history and
Pk-12 all level principal/mid Mgmt
And have engaged in all of them at some point;-)

I'm in awe... That's beyond a calling.

;-)

[☠]lllllll[☠] 89 YJ ...SOA +6.5...44"Trxus' I Love my dirtYJeep! [☠]lllllll[☠]

no doubt, we have 30-40mph winds everday, all day. sometimes its cool but most of hte time it sucks.

we do get the kite boarding and sailboarding competition here every year. the finals for the country

Two factors that will influence when different tire/vehicles will hydroplane are tread design of the tire ( IE how well it clears water)
And ground pressure. Take the total weigh of the vehicle, and divide it by how many inches of tire contact the ground. Heavier and smaller tires: Higher pressure, and more grip in the rain, and snow.
Lighter and larger tire footprint will make you hydroplane faster, and also make you float in the snow.

I'm used to driving a Sequoia and clearly driving my Wrangler is VERY different. Is it my imagination, or does the Jeep hydroplane a whole lot easier than the Sequoia? Lots of nasty rain today, and I hydroplaned at a point where I wouldn't have thought twice about driving the Sequoia. It made me pretty nervous. I'm not sure if it's because the Jeep's tires are bigger than I'm used to or because the Sequoia was so much bigger, but it's a huge adjustment. Kind of like comparing a carousel to bumper cars.

Snow and Ice in a Jeep:

1. Narrow tall tires, like 9.50x33x15. Tires "Siped", e.g, tires are razor cut with a siping machine at 90 degrees across the tire tread face. Effect: makes tires like a squeegie on ice and snow.

2. If additional control is needed, either use cable tire chains or step up even more to 1 ton truck chains as I use on VEX. But only use them on the front for stable control. Front and rear if off road and deep deep snow. Use front ARB only in latter example.

Try it.

Robert

Some tires handle water better than others. As mentioned, bigger tires on a lighter vehicle will hydroplane easier. I had a set of Bridgestone Dueler REVO's on a previous truck, awesome in rain and snow, one look at the tread will tell you why.

Some tires handle water better than others. As mentioned, bigger tires on a lighter vehicle will hydroplane easier. I had a set of Bridgestone Dueler REVO's on a previous truck, awesome in rain and snow, one look at the tread will tell you why.

:yeah-that: +1 on the Revo's!!

Back