I got an electrical problem

M.Johndrow

I am really trying to be in love with this Wrangler but it is really starting to push my buttons. I went out there to go for a ride and discovered that my headlights and hazzards ar enot working. I changed all fuses and still nothing. They were working fine yesterday. The only thing I did was I pulled the plastic conduit off the engine harness to track down why power was not getting to my choke. But I really did not do anything that should have caused a problem. I changed all my fuses. A test light shows there is no power at the fuse slots for the head lights and hazzard lights. I have no idea what this is all about. I have signals and the gauges are working I dont remember if they were lit. Then later I went back and I pulled the conduit off my engine bay harness and noticed one wire that is very warm to the touch. It is reddish in color and is spliced into two wires on the passenger side. One is yellow and goes to the distributor plug and the other is green and white and goes to a junction on the firewall below the battery. The other end is spliced into the harness on the drivers side just past the valve cover and joins into many yellow wires. only the red part of the wire is getting hot. Nothing is warm on the other side of either splice. It is the only wire getting hot. I want to love this jeep...but it is challenging!

Headlights will be controled by a relay switch. What year is your Wrangler?

Chances are that when you removed the plastic convolute off the harness, there was an open wiring somewhere that eventually made a contact to create a short. Separate the wires in question that you have found to be hot and make sure it isn't fused together to a different circuit that's not supposed to be. Rule of thumb on an electrical short, If you found a circuit thats getting hot, it's either the weakest section of the wiring OR it's close to the location of the short.

Well the odd thing is that its the section in the middle that is hot. The wires spliced on each end are not getting hot. It is also not fused to anything. Man I hate electrical. I worked for months on one of my MR2's trying to track down a problem. I am not really into that again lol

its on the fuse panel under driver side dash area....i will trade you headlight/hazards problems for my no running lights, brake lights or rear blinkers...good luck man

Ok I spent many hours tracking down wires today in this thing. I discovered that the wire I have that is getting hot is running from a splice just over the valve cover a bit towards the drivers side. There is roughly 7 or so yellow wires spliced together. Thsi wire however is red and goes from the splice down to slit in two directions. One side turns into green w/ white stripe to that junction thing on the firewall below the battery. The other side turns back into a yellow wire and runs to the coil. If I disconnect the coil the wire does not get hot.

What is that junction on the firewall below and behind the battery anyway?

I also discovered that I have continuity from that splice of yellow wires to all my fuses. Now how can I have continuity but no power. Does that mean there is a grouding issue? I have 12 volts to that splice when the battery is hooked up. I should mention that a test light shows power at all the fuses but headlights and hazzard lights. But my volt meter shows continuity! How can this be! lol

I also discovered that I have continuity from that splice of yellow wires to all my fuses. Now how can I have continuity but no power. Does that mean there is a grouding issue? I have 12 volts to that splice when the battery is hooked up. I should mention that a test light shows power at all the fuses but headlights and hazzard lights. But my volt meter shows continuity! How can this be! lol

Having continuity means the connection is good. Not having the 12volts on the same circuit means the power supply is either shorted to ground or it's an open short. Youv'e verified that circuit to have continuity. Move to the supply side of the circuit and look for an open or short to ground issue.

Reading these diagrams I printed off the internet is making my head hurt. My factory service manual I ordered can't get here fast enough! Did I mention I hate wiring!

Back