Idle slows way diwn when stopped

elstx65

84 CJ7. Jeep doing it again. Idle slows way down when I stop and dies sometime. Tried to adjust it with no luck. When it starts to die, smoke starts come up from somewhere but can't tell where. Smells like exhaust. Runs fine while driving. When I start it, it sounds like it's need more gas even though I'm pumping - hard to start.
Does all this sound like its pointing to one thing?

The smoke only happens when the idle slows way down and the engine starts jerking. Maybe it could be from the hose drone the exhaust to the breather? Could be popping loose when the engine jerks?

Does this sound like a fuel issue since it's hard to start and it starts to die when not giving it gas? It has a new fuel filter and hoses.

Have you checked for vac leaks? use stating fluid and spray around intake, carb, the engine speed should go up if you find a leak. Make sure vac advance can on the distributor don't have a hole in the diaphragm and will pull vac. You didn't have this problem before changing plugs and wires??

Nope, didn't have it before changing plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, or fuel filter and fuel hoses. So you think it's a carb problem, vice a fuel problem?

Only thing left in the fuel system you didn't replace is the pump, could be going. I know at least some 6 cyl jeeps had a tiny fuel filter just inside the carb where the fuel line screws into it, I have found that filter completely plugged before, a lot of people take them out and leave them out. You have to take the line off as the filter sits inside where the line go,s. Id probably replace the pump and check for that filter. Not blaming carb "yet", it was fine and I see no reason for it going bad because of the changes you made. Something must have happened while you made your changes, (vac hose knocked off, wires crossed, wrong cap, etc...) right now my bet is vac leak somewhere (and your manifold is notorious for leaks) or fuel pump.

Thanks. I"ll see if mine has that filter. So that's a secondary filter? I don't see any lines pulled off. Maybe I'll just get a new fuel pump to see if that's it, or rule it out. Wife will kill me soon.

This same thing happened to my 85 CJ7. It turned out the idle jets (aka venturi) were clogged (I was running the original Carter BBD). I eventually became an expert at pulling the idle jets out, running some guitar wire through them, hitting them with carb cleaner and reassembling.

The tubes in this photo are what I mean

340d1159998133-85-cj7-6-backfires-downhill-idle-venturi_tubes-.jpg

I think I'll try a new fuel pump first just to make sure. Guess I'll get cash back at grocery store to hide more part purchases - that way everyone is happy.

Last edited:

How do I pull out the idle jets?
I just replaced the fuel pump and it still runs the same.

My bet is the vacuum leak, i think if you got your vacuum hoses back on and in the right places, you may have split or torn a hose or otherwise damaged the unit(s) they plug into.
checking this out thoroughly should be step one.
And like 69jeepcj said, "use stating fluid and spray around intake, carb, the engine speed should go up if you find a leak."

no, vacuum hoses suck, not blow... you use starting fluid which is cumbustable... if your idle goes up then your vacuum leak is sucking it into your intake and burning it with your gas

found this youtube that explains it
https://youtu.be/sa8Yu1oCTVI

Last edited:
Back