Is the RUBICON lifted compared to a stock tj.

joejeepny

I have an 04 rubi that I just put a 1" body lift on. The wrangler mt/r tires were 30.7" tall (LT245/75R16/E). I just tried a LT285/75R16/D which is 32.8" tall. This tire is overall 2.1" taller with a radius increase of 1.05" which with all calculations considered should fit and it does. I believe I shouldnt have any problem with rubbing except when I turn full lock left or right they rub the frame. I would assume any tj with a larger tire may have to adjust the stops depending on wheel backspacing. So what I am getting to here is 32.8" is the size of most 33" tires. Why do they say you need a 4" lift to fir 33's and more to fit 35's when it took only and inch of body lift to get 33's on. Is the rubi lifted already. When you buy a 4" lift does it lift the rubi 4"'s. Whats up with this?

The Rubicon sits 1" higher than the other TJ's because the springs are 1" taller.

That said, a 4" lift for a TJ will lift a Rubi 3". Some kits are available with a seperate kit for the Rubi (which I assume have 1" taller springs.

I like the fact (among other things) that the Rubicons don't have a slip yoke ;)

and the air lockers... dont get me started on their 44s tho... different ring gears than a standard 44, the same tubes as a 35 and 30?! using weaker dana 30 balljoints and hubs? yea so thay have a 44 centersection...

RE: Reinforce frame?

The "4 inch lift required to fit 33" tires" doesn't really apply to any TJ, more so to YJ's. TJ's really only need about 2.5" of lift to easily clear 33" tires, even a little less for a Rubi.

The tires aren't rubbing your frame at full lock, but your lower control arms.

Your right its the lower arms. I have a scuff on the frame also though. I did test it articulating with a fork lift.

1951 willys pickup

:lol: You pick one tire up using the forklift until the other tire on that side starts to lift. I've used mine a million times to check clearance and to quickly see before and after results of mods.
I've used it to remove/install engines, run a strap over the forks and through the floor to hold up the transmission, parking lot tow vehicle, I never use the floorjack to lift my CJ anymore.

I've always wondered if the stock TJ was actually lowered compared to YJ's and CJ's....seriously, I've seen them parked next to each other as well as driving down the street, and they all look about as low as some cars.

RE: Complete 304 or 360 AMC engine

It's not that the ride height is any different, but that the TJ has a ton more room in the wheelwells. That's why my YJ has TJ fenderflares and a little less sheetmetal.

Back