Is this really that hard to find?!?!!?

sjo426

Well I'm working on my SBC swap. I was originally going to use my Ford T18 to the Chevy motor. But this weekend I discovered the transmission is actually a Jeep T18A. So it won't bolt up to the motor w/out an adapter.

So I would rather have a straight bolt on transmission and t-case. I have called a few junkyard looking for a SM465 and NP205. So far with little results. Well the results I have got range from 600-950 bucks.

Am I going the wrong direction here? Is there a better way of getting my Jeep going again? I thought these items were "a dime a dozen".

Well as I'm typing this I get a phone call from one of the salvage yards. SM465 transmission bolted up to a NP205 (the bolt on driveshaft kind) all for 500 bucks. This comes with a 60 day guarantee.

Is the best I will find????

thanks!!

You should be able to sell that T18A very easily. It has a nice granny low and was used in 77-79 CJ's. Too bad you can't use it.

Well I have a 78CJ7 with the awful T-150 3spd.

It's decent Jeep but the motor is a little wore out, smokes a little. Not sure what I can do to help this. But I'm thinking I can put the T18A (I have the bellhousing stuck to the transmission too) behind the 304 just fine.

Not sure, too many projects. ; )

Sure thing, just bring me that pretty blue Renegade! ; )

What t-case are you running? I would rather have a 465/205 than a T18/Dana 20. If you have a Dana 300 then it would be worth buying the adapter bellhousing in my opinion.

"If you have a Dana 300 then it would be worth buying the adapter bellhousing in my opinion."

Adapter bellhousing to which transmission?

It is just a matter of what I have on hand. Since I had a T18/20 on hand I was just going to use that. Now that I found out I have a T18A/20 it won't bolt to my SBC (w/out a $300 adapter). Now I plan on going the 465/205 route. But I can't seem to find that combo in a decent price range. I do have a Dana 300 laying around as well. But it doesn't seem to fit into any of my plans.

The way I see it, you need to decide what transfer case you want to use first. If you choose the 205 you can avoid adapters, but will have to fab some hefty mounts and skids to hold that whale. If you choose the D20 then you merely have to buy the $300 bellhousing for your T18. IMO the best choice in strength AND gearing is with the Dana 300 so that is the one I would use in conjunction with a Chevy transmission. That will now leave you with purchasing a Chevy transmission as well as the adapter for the Dana 300.
Good luck.

Back