Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

Special_K

Anybody know of a guy named Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (a.k.a. IZ)?

I was just listening to a really cool occopello ukulele song that he sings (Somewhere Over the Rainbow). Something seems at least a little comical about a 500-lb pacific islander singing a ukulele ballad, but its still a really cool song.

- From the master of insomnia and obscure topics

Actually I have heard of him......and that is one of my favorite renditions of that song. He died a few years back (at 500 lbs., THERE'S a surprise) :(

BTW.......on a musical note (pun intended)......"a cappella" means "without instrumental accompaniment"...........so it's just a yuke song.

mud4feet said:
Actually I have heard of him......and that is one of my favorite renditions of that song. He died a few years back (at 500 lbs., THERE'S a surprise) :(

BTW.......on a musical note (pun intended)......"a cappella" means "without instrumental accompaniment"...........so it's just a yuke song.

hehehehe.

I realized it was a bit of a contradiction after I posted but I was kinda hoping no one would catch that. :roll: :D

Special_K said:
Anybody know of a guy named Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (a.k.a. IZ)?

I was just listening to a really cool occopello ukulele song that he sings (Somewhere Over the Rainbow). Something seems at least a little comical about a 500-lb pacific islander singing a ukulele ballad, but its still a really cool song.

- From the master of insomnia and obscure topics

Yea hes got a CD out, its funny cuz he is 500lb. But his song somewhere over the rainbow is in the movie 50 first dates.

That song is also in the credits at the end of Finding Forrester- it's a medley along with What a Wonderful World It Would Be- I think Louis Armstrong is singing the second song but I'm not sure. Great song.

The song was in the final scene and the ending credits on the movie "50 First Dates"
with Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore.

It's based in Hawaii, but the scene that comes out in is when they are in Alaska at the end on his boat.

Back