Jeep and Speed ???

B'ham Jeeper

So I am coming back from my mom's today. The speed limit around Birmingham is 70 mph... so I am coming off one interstate to get on another and I'm running in 6th gear right at 70 mph. Look up to merge and a 18 wheeler going about 80 is getting ready to run up my hiney! So I kick the JK and low and behold it takes off....I look down and I have hit 90 with no problem. Now it's not the push you back in your seat kind of power but I am impressed that it took off that well in 6th gear.

I just had to get on-line and brag on my brick! :purple:

Not sure bout the newer jeeps, but all my cherokees have been limited at 120mph (by the govenor, not top speed). I bet that 6th gear is nice.

my XJ will do 112mph according to the book, when you get past 95 it gets a bit hairy and 100mph is the absolute tops I would want to take it. scares the life out of beemer drivers on the motorway when you come bearing down on them in a 11 year old jeep at nearly 90 :D

90 in a Jeep... why doesn't that sound right? :lol:

I bet that 6th gear is nice.
I had that 6 speed in an Unlimited (LJ). To be blunt, I thought it was a horrible transmission and it was one of two reasons I got rid of that Jeep. If you look at the gearing vs the older 5 speed, you'll see that it offers very little if anything over the older trans. Possibly fuel economy but I doubt it.

I've hit 90 in a 77 CJ7 with a 304/T150 while pulling a 19 ft Bayliner.

Not something I want to do again (I wasn't driving).

Try that with the doors off, top and windshield down and tell me how fast that feels. haha:shock:

Try that with the doors off, top and windshield down and tell me how fast that feels. haha:shock:

Top down is the best way to do it, but keep the windshield up.

The most fun I've had at high speeds in a Jeep was when I drag raced a guy in a 4wd converted El Camino on 38s one time in my little YJ(on 36s) and we hit 110-115mph, which was basically that Jeeps top speed. It had rained earlier in the day and we were going down the main four lane road in town... my passenger was about to poop his pants. His screaming like a little girl and white knuckle clutching of the grab bar is what made it so fun!

We were playing around in my buddy's 79 Ford F-150 one night on the way to the beach to do some drag racing with it, and we took that big monster up to 100mph... on 44" Boggers.

Back