Jeep Culture

michaela

Hello, I write for Freedom, Chrysler and Jeep’s customer magazine, based in the UK. I’m researching a feature on ‘Jeep culture’ – the best books, music, films and games that embrace and reflect the Jeep spirit, adventure and experience. I’d love to include suggestions from fellow Jeep drivers worldwide in the magazine: What do you listen to as you drive? What’s your favourite film? Or book? What about video games - are they your thing? All suggestions very welcome!

We are many and we are varied!!! One thing I've learned from both this site and owning & using my Jeep, is that Jeepers are from all walks of life. For example, some would listen to Country, some Thrash metal. Probably even some who love classical music. The Jeep "culture" doesn't discriminate, it can and does infect anybody! The really awesome part is that all these folks who would pass each other in a mall without even considering so much as an acknowledging smile to one another, would all get together on a trail ride,a Jamboree, or on this website and become great friends. Jeeps break down walls!!!

I think your going to get a lot of different answers, owning a jeep is not who we are, but rather a part of it. Books and video game interestes will differ greatly amoungst us all! some of the younger people might like the blood guts and glory type games, while those in their 30's and 40's are content with pong, while those 50+ don't know anything about video games other than the coleco vision stoped working 20 years ago!

The more important things that define what it means to be a jeper would be comrodery, pride, friendship, and other good natured qualities that getting to be ever harder to find. Jeepers are willing to drive hours out of there way just to help someone wrench on there jeep, and ask for nothing in return. jeepers will pull over and offer to help someone on broken down on the side of the freeway.
Like what TC said above, we come from all different walks of life, but Jeepers will always accept another jeeper regardless of race, religion, or creed! Heck if everyone owned a jeep, I think that would lead to world peace!!

I agree with those before me. I would like to add that those who end up keeping jeeps seem to be of a differant nature than those who own one then get rid of it. They are not the most comfortable things in the world and I think a little humility is brought by this. You have to love your jeep to drive a CJ in the winter. If you don't you will not have it for another winter. It is a culture of its own. You just always have to remember that as much of a joke it is this fraze is true (Just Empty Every Pocket) It may not be because of breakdowns but you will be moding it if you have money.

If I were to specify a few Jeep related things Game Screamer 4X4(best 4x4 game I have played), Alan Jackson has a really good Jeep song about passing it on to his kids(can't remember the name). Best place I have been to drive a Jeep is Moab. I have never seen a more beautiful place than Moab.

Avyoung, the Song is called "Drive"
I'm grown up now, 3 daughters of my own
I let them drive my old Jeep
cross the pasture at my home
maybe one day they'll reach back in their file
and pull that ole memory and think of me and smile and say
It was just an old worn out Jeep
Rusty old floorboards, hot on my feet
Young girl, 2 hands on the wheel
I can't replace that way it made me feel
and he'd say turn it left and steer it right
Straighten up girl now, your doing just fine
just an lil'valley by the river where we'd ride
but I was high on the mountian
When Daddy let me Drive.

It is completely a lifestyle.
How many folks LIVE for that rough ride evrytime they get a chance to sit in their jeep? I do!!
How many folks take their tops down in snow weather just to breathe the air around them? I do!!
How many have to strain to hear anything going on around them (CB, Radio, etc) because they want the wind blowing through their hair even on a chilly day? I do!!
How many get to drive to the river that isn't so crowded and away from the boat landing to enjoy the sound of running water with a little shade? I do!!
How many get pride from seeing a child "Light up" in their eyes when you wave at them in your Jeep? I do!!

Yes, I love every little bit of my Jeep and the attitude that it puts forth. Jeepers no, matter how different, are the same in MANY ways. we are a calm buch of gentle giants that know what we like and how to get there, most of the time. What we listen to or read or play has little to do with it. It is a lifestyle and that is for jeepers to know and everyone else to wonder about. Least that is how I see it.

As I sit in my Jeep waitting my turn at the obstacle looking across the golden crack as an old CJ-5 passes through it and I smile. Not because it was my Jeep or even some one I know, but because we as strangers had worked toegther to get here. Would I actually talk to this man outside our trail trip?
What sort of life style causes perfect strangers to pull over because another Jeeper is sitting on the side of the road changing a tire?
Dont see a Honda civic doing that for another Honda...only in a jeep.
Country, rock, even hip hop has been blared out of topless jeeps all across this nation.
It doesnt matter what your skin color is or your nation of birth. Young or old we are all part of a sub-culture. We are the "J" generation. We span over 50 years of people and will span another 50 yet to come.
We wave at perfect strangers who we would shun unless they owned a jeep. An amazing thing when we were taught as children to shun strangers...
I think jps4jeep had it right....if everyone owned a jeep we might just achive world peace.

the best books, music, films and games
Best book...a Jeep owner's manual
Best music...whatever is playing on the radio in my Jeep
Best films...ones with Jeeps
Best games...who can afford them with a Jeep in the garage?
All suggestions very welcome!
My suggestion is to tell Daimler Chrysler Marketing not to worry about music, books and games for Jeepers. Jeeps are what bring Jeep folks together. Keep building good quality "Trail Rated" machines and stop pushing everything to the "Mall Rated" side and the Jeep Culture will continue to thrive.

From what I have found Jeep People or as I call em Jeepers are not sheep! they are folks willing to go against the grain of the normal. They trade the soft phat ride of a car and the smart thinking of a truck and go for something a bit more.

Jeepers are rugged at least in soul and heart. They are many times PHD types but have a country boy feel about them. They buy use and maintain a Jeep that is by nature a problem and love it. Always looking for a way to make it even more rugged that it already is. Take a perfectly good riding suspention and stiffen it up till bounces you around real good and see it as a good thing.

Music is not what you are looking for nor is films games or books or politics or religion or any thing else. If you want to know more about jeep sub culture then you will have to look into the eyes and hearts of the jeepers. There you will see in place of what you stated you wished to know you will find Mountains, Deserts, Rivers Valleys, Lakes, Oceans Beaches, and other landscapes crossed and outlined with trails where the non jeepers ever go.

You will see folks that wave to each other just because you are in another Jeep. Folks that will stop to help you when you have a flat or are broken down cause you are in another jeep. Folks that will park next to you at the mall cause you are driven a jeep. It is a family thing.

Jeepers will share their knowledge with other jeepers just cause it is the right thing to do. They will come over and skin their knuckles helping you install a lift of their only day off this weekend just cause you are driven a jeep.

I hope you get the jest of all that I am saying. Cause Most Jeepers really want to be understood. We are old young male female and most any cross section of life you wish to explore. So go for the meat of the jeep topic and the music films and games will play them selves. tug

Re: Cherokee front rear 96

Well, there's not much elso to say, but I would have to also agree that the best thing when writing about Jeep culture would be the things described above. If you need any more information on these things, we are certainly glad to help, for we can give you all the info that you could possibly need! All of us are different, so we listen to the same sort of music, watch the same films, and play the same games as anyone else does. What makes us who we are is that we own Jeeps and love everyone else who owns a Jeep, has the desire to own one, or those who like our Jeeps!

dont listen to music while im on the trail i like to hear the raw power of my creation crawling through the woods........knowing that i created this machine(sort of, just an improvement)

look back at your answers and realize that you are putting on some of a show making sure everything is perfect and answering the question how she wants it to be answered

there is nothing on here about the blood, sweat, and yelling you have done to your Jeep to get it to where its at now.....but we have all gone through it so thats what ties us together not just the Jeep itself but the background that went into each persons own view and idea of a/the perfect Jeep

FiC

thanks for all your comments - food for thought. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to sum up the Jeep experience in a couple of books or movies, or say that Jeepers are at all alike. I'm more trying to gather some thoughts on Jeep recommendations - a kind of " if you like Jeeps, maybe you'll like listening/watching/reading/playing..."

I know its a tall order! But there's been loads of stuff to get me thinking and, as a novice message board user, I've been really impressed with the response - and grateful for the warm welcome, (though I've never had anything else from a Jeeper, of course!).

welcome to jeepz, i agree with what they all said. people are all different and come from different backgrounds but are fused to each other by that 4 letter word JEEP. no matter where you hear it, you immediately (sp) stop and who/what/where type of thing if that word comes up.

to answer your question if you like jeeps, 1. you'll enjoy listening to music really loud cause your soft top make sooooo much noise or your mud terrain tires are howling down the road.
2. You'll enjoy watching Trucks!, OLN network, "How to" on speed channel. 3. reading quadratec, JP, 4 wheel & offroad, etc.... 4. you will enjoy playing in the mud/woods/rocks/sand/garage, or anything that is intended for everyday in a car.

Back