Jeep Not Starting...... Again

jeepmaster

Hey all! The new look on the forum looks great! I haven't been around in awhile but whenever the Jeep starts acting up I know I can come here and get some sound advice. So here's the deal:

When I turn the key all accessories come on, speakers, CD player, amp, headlights etc come to life and function properly. However, the starter does nothing. No trying, not a sound comes from it. I had the battery tested, it's fine. So I ripped the starter off it and took it in, the machine couldn't get it to crank so I replaced the starter, still nothing. I took the starter back off and took it back in hoping it was a bad solenoid, no such luck. I checked every single one of my fuses and they're all fine. I used one of those light up current tester screwdriver deals and power is getting to the starter, or at least to one of the connections. Are there any fuses other than under the dash and in the relay box under the hood that I need to be checking? I've also heard of something called a Nuetral Safety Switch that can interfere with starting if it's not working or the connections are dirty or something. Anyone know anything about this or where it's located? I know it's been replaced once before in my Jeep prior to myself owning it. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys!

I dont know where the switch is located on a cherokee, but my brother in law has a ford ranger and its underneath the glove box. He has that problem a lot, and is just too lazy to fix it.

Yea I've looked into it a little and on Cherokees it appears to be located on the transmission or something. Pretty sure that's not what it is since it won't start in park or neutral. As far as I can tell it not starting in park but only in neutral appears to be a more tell tale sign of a NSS failure. I could be wrong though. I don't work tomorrow until 5 so I'm gonna go snag some degreaser, a toothbrush, etc and clean all my connections, follow all my grounds and clean those. My oil filter seems to be leaking oil a little (a first) and with the starter right below it I think it's possible that some of the connections might have become dirty. It might also be worth knowing that my Jeep has done this on maybe 10 rare occasions in the past 6 years or so but usually fiddling with the key or putting it into neutral and rolling/pushing it 5 or 10 feet then putting it in park and starting it would work. Not sure whether it was the movement or messing with the key that got it. I'm probably going to replace the ignition switch tonight and see what happens. Something tells me Bounty has a solution for this

Indeed he does. Just got off the phone with the NAPA dude and he suggested using a test light to determine if the ignition switch really needed to be replaced. Evidently the power flows from the ignition to the NSS then to the 2nd terminal on the starter. I know for sure there is power on the 1st one having used a test light. Tragically the girl friend is at work and I'm gonna need a 2nd pair of hands for this. I'll keep you posted. Nice of the NAPA guy though to say hey maybe you don't need to replace this part, test it first.

On my 96 I've had the oil filter adapter leak onto the starter and somehow work it's way into the starter and coat the brushes (twice).
The starter relay is in the PDC and the same relay as others, so you can just swap for a test.
There is a connecter a few inches away from the PDC on the solenoid wire that may be a problem, the wire there is really anemic. Also follow the wire down the side of the block to the solenoid and make sure everything is OK.
The battery poles and/or loose battery connections can cause this. The only way I really trust them is after I've sanded them and re-tightened.

Ok so today I went out and cleaned the battery connections really well and the connections on the starter. They're all shiny now. Still nothing. When I turn the key the Brake light comes on in the trouble window thing on the left where the other dummy lights are, but not even a whisper from the starter. Also, was able to arc start it with a screwdriver and get it home (it was in my work parking lot) so I know it's something somewhere between the ignition and the starter.

Mudder - What is the PDC? And can you describe where and what this wire looks like that tends to be anemic?

Theres a step by step video on YouTube on how to take your neutral safety switch off and clean it and put it back on. Evidently this is a pretty simple fix? Also if I'm able to arc start it then would that mean my NSS is fine? Or not? We tested with a light and there is no power going to the smallest post on the starter and the NAPA guy said that the line runs from ignition to NSS to starter so clearly somewhere along theres a problem. Could this be an ignition switch problem? How would I test for that?

2 other things you can try as this happened to me.

Push the brake pedal down as hard as you can and try and turn the key.

If that doesn't work try putting it in neutral and turning the key.

Nothing changes if I try to start it in park or in neutral. I turned my key to on and put it in reverse to see if I had any backup lights and I don't. I believe I read that backup lights are part of the neutral safety switch. So would this indicate that's the problem?

Yea that's what I was thinking. I've got the switch taken off and I'm gonna clean it up and throw her back on and see what we get. From what I read sometimes a good cleaning is all they need and don't actually need to be replaced. I'm hoping this is the case with mine, especially since it would start sometimes and othertimes I'd get nothing like I'm getting now.

Well I ripped the NSS off and took it apart and WOW it was packed full of grease and dirt and the springs under the contacts were completely stuffed with grease. I cleaned everything up and put it back together and sure enough the Jeep fired right up! I still don't have reverse lights and it will start in park but not neutral. I noticed the contacts were a little worn so in the end I will probably replace the switch. First I'll see if tightening it up completely and checking some fuses fixes the reverse lights and neutral thing thing but at least the Jeep is running now!

This feels GREAT!

Back