jeep vibrating?!!

leo@jeep

Hello To Everybody on Jeepz.com!
i have a 77 cj7 and the last 3 weeks it vibrates!!!
I feel the whole car shakin after i put 3rd gear and be with 50-60 km an hour or when i hit the brakes and try to stop the vehicle!
Anyone had the same experience?

[addsig]

while it could be the rotors, if it is happening accelerating and decelerating, it would be more logical to point to tire balance and/or alignment.[addsig]

My guess would be Driveline u-joints or rear end bearings! [addsig]

50-60 kph (30-38 mph) is a little slow for balance. Most of the vehicles I've had with bad tire balance
vibrate around 60 mph (100 kph). Is any one familiar with drivetrain or steering linkage vibrations at
~35mph? I'm not familiar with that area.

As for it vibrating when braking, the rotors may have warped. Do a search on google.com for "cj7 drilled
slotted rotors." If you have to replace them, it may as well be with something good that won't warp again
later. I did my TJ (after a grinding, and an OEM replacement, and bad again) and have been happy with
the results.

My guess right now is that the rotors warped three weeks ago and the vibrations from that caused
something else to go bad and vibrate when you hit 55 kph (35 mph)... Does this sound right?

Ahhhh, that guess is too complicated. It probably is one problem in your drivetrain or steering. If the
steering wheel vibrates itself, then it's probably steering. Otherwise, I'd go with drivetrain.

Hope that helps and welcome to jeepz.

Cooper.

edited by: jcooper, Jan 30, 2003 - 04:37 PM[addsig]

I will go ahead and make a guess that it is the rear driveline... when you reach a certain speed(or a certain torque), the pinion yoke and the driveshaft will be at a certain angle. When you slow down... the pinion darts toward the ground... if you have weak suspension in the rear, this will happen often.. I know all about that... I used to go through Ujoints like vitamins[addsig]

Hey Thanx a lot to everybody for your replies
I also checked that i'm loosing liquid from the brakes...i changed yesterday the back cylinders hoping that at least i will get rid of the problem of not having 100% brakes but ...well the problem persists and the master cylinder is again empty(the small part of it)...
And yes the steering system is vibrating also jcooper[addsig]

Sounds like a bad tire to me and check the master cylinder for leaks[addsig]

I would say a vibration from around 50-60- tire balance- possibly 30 if there is a major problem with balance-

-if it happens while pressing the brakes- then check rotors, brakes so on...

-while accel/decel then check the drivetrain to make sure its all good. You should have about the same angle on the output shaft of the transfer case and the angle going into the axle, if not then you will probably get a vibration at some point/speed.

[addsig]

Back