Jeep wont start. Help!

jeepwjlimited

My guages turn on. Mileage. Rpm. All of it. Battery reads 12.4 volts. I turn key and nothing happens. Wont even turn. Whats the problem

It could be a bad starter. Also, check all the fuses, including the ones under the hood.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Could be a bad starter solenoid. First I would check the battery terminals for a better connection. Also sometimes you can rap the starter with a hammer and that will work if the solenoid is going bad

Tap the starter with a hammer than try it. Sorry last reply I said rap the starter. I meant tap

Sounds like you have your culprit If it'll start in neutral and not park, it may be the switch. Try shifing to neutral, then back to park. PUSH the shifter forward toward park and hold it. See if it starts. I've seen where sometimes it is in park but the shifter is not fully hitting the safety switch. When this happend I hit the shifter forward and it moves it just enough to engage the switch and start.

Sounds like you have your culprit If it'll start in neutral and not park, it may be the switch. Try shifing to neutral, then back to park. PUSH the shifter forward toward park and hold it. See if it starts. I've seen where sometimes it is in park but the shifter is not fully hitting the safety switch. When this happend I hit the shifter forward and it moves it just enough to engage the switch and start. Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Does this mean i need a new safety switch? Is it worn? What causes it?

I don't know if it is the switch or if something is out of adjustment. Mine doesn't do it often enough for me to worry about dropping the transmission to look into it. Try the test I suggested. If nothing else, you know how to get around it in the meantime if this does work. Maybe the shifter just needs some extra lubrication or something.

I don't think you need a new switch.... a slight adjustment, maybe, but that's all. Once you see the price of a new neutral safety switch, you'll be pretty well convinced that you don't need a new one.

I don't think you need a new switch.... a slight adjustment, maybe, but that's all. Once you see the price of a new neutral safety switch, you'll be pretty well convinced that you don't need a new one.

It starts when i wiggle the shifter back and forth on N. Then sometimes starts up again in park.

Well, when you find you'll have to shell out $275+ for a new switch, you might want to try adjusting the one you have. There's an adjustment bolt on the switch itself.

Attachments

• Doc1.pdf
    93.2 KB · Views: 113
  • NSS adjust.pdf
    99.8 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Back