jeepspeed setup?

firestarter

So I'm looking into turning my stock 2000 xj into a jeepspeed rig. I've been browsing though quite a few write-ups on "The Ultimate Jeepspeed rig" but I thought i'd get other opinions on a few things:

1.) If you had to build the rig in stages (lets say you didn't have wads of cash to blow on a sec's notice) what would you be thinking about? What would be your 'stages' and what components come to mind (brands, etc ...)

2.) What is the most important aspect of a jeepspeed rig? Steering? Clearing? Power? etc ...

3.) With large modifications being done would you see an immediate desire to beef up the unibody design?

4.) When looking at roll cages what are you thinking about? What are the key differences between a 'rock crawler' cage and a 'racing' cage?

5.) <insert your own question, thought, remark here>

Thanks in advance,

I don't have anything to add, but I do like your question, and am curious to see what more knowledgeable others will have to say. I'm in the process of trying to "speed" up my XJ as well, so any advice will definitely be appreciated.

@oldschoolcj7: Jeepspeed. I'm not too familiar with the desert racing series. Please enlighten :)

@southtj: I could go on discussing this forever but if you google "jeepspeed on a budget" you get a lot of insight into peoples jeepspeed setups. I would post a site but I guess i need to have at least 5 posts before i do so :-( (jeep speed <dot> .... cough cough)

JeepSpeed 1 rules state that it is exclusively for Jeep Cherokee XJ models produced from 1981 through 2001. Any option combination (2-door, 4-door, 2-wheel-drive, 4-wheel-drive, 4-cylinder, V6, inline 6, manual transmission, automatic transmission, etc.) is acceptable, as long as it was available in the United States from the manufacturer in that configuration. Dealer installed and aftermarket options are not allowed, unless specifically identified as acceptable herein. Major components, such as suspension kits, must be readily available to the general public. Unless a modification is allowed or component listed as open herein, that part must remain original. Any component or assembly can be strengthened by adding material, but the original must remain intact.
1777-1.jpg

Jeepspeed | ATK Engins | OC Motorsports | Orange Coast Jeep
there are all the rules for jeep speed and really just follow the guide lines for what is allowed and peice it together one by one when i pick up another xj i wanna build it for jeep speed preferably a 2 door 5-speed 4.0L is what i want for mine to start with
4 doors seem to work better the same wheel base but extra set of pillars to help stiffen the body.

@oldschoolcj7: Sounds logical. Mine's a 4-door

@Others: Yeah I've been reading over the rules, those are good and all but I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts and considerations they take when making modifications or choosing parts that meet the guidelines.

Thanks for the feedback,

Back