just clicks

92__cherokee

my 92 cherokee (stock 4.0) wont sstart all it does is clicks i have tried jumpin it and it will sometimes turn bout halfway over then just starts clickin it did this the other day and i wiggled the jumper cables aand it started but ran really rough for bout 30 sec then fine i went too start it today aand the battery was completely dead even when i wiggled the jumpers it still just clicked i tried knockin on the starter thankin mayb that would fix it still nothin anyone got any ideas?

If you have another car then I'd start by swapping the batteries. Sounds like a dead battery, then a poor connection on the jumper cables.

another possibility is a bad starter.

Could be the starter solenoid if the battery is in good shape.I would try the battery first.If your battery is completely shorted jumping it will not work,jump start only works if the battery is low.Some times batteries will short so it acts basically like the positive and negative wires are twisted together.One way to test the solenoid is to put your jumper cable on the solenoid itself and then tap it to a battery while the Jeep key is in the on position.You only want to tap it so the starter doesnt keep running once the engine starts.be careful you can have some sparks if the connections are not good.if it still just clicks your solenoid is bad.

See if the alternator belt is still there. Given the time of year, you motor could be frozen if not enough antifreeze is in the rad

Back