Kansas Weather!

LRwrnglr

How about that weather Sparky? Last week the weather was nice, like in the 60's or 70's, occasionally getting into the 80's with some rain. And then it started to cool down this week and today it snowed up to 7 inches in Central Kansas. I am in astonishment of this Kansas weather, haha. But anyways figured I'd share the strange events.

LR

Yeah we had flurries today! IT was near 80 on Monday :roll:

Oh sure, everytime we plan a weekend ride it snows in Denver. Oh well, next Saturday I head for Moab...

Ya, it sucked! We got about an inch or so, depending on where you looked. Here's a shot I took the morning after:

AprilSnow1-2.jpg

Now, are you ready for round two? It is supposed to snow again tonight into tomorrow, giving our area 2-4" of snow. NW Kansas can see up to a foot, with other areas north of here getting up to 10". If it does snow tonight, it will set a record for the latest recorded snowfall in Wichita. Now, I don't recall the coverage, but I know back in the late 70's, we got 6" here in No Hope (30 miles NW of Wichita) on May 6th. It fell over a 3 hour period, and melted off completely within 3 hours after it quit falling. Had it been colder and fallen at the rate it did, we would have gotten 1.5 to 2 feet of snow that day.

I've had enough snow for the year already! I should be chasing tornadoes in April, not snowflakes! :x

Last edited:

Yeah this does suck, its April, AND ITS SNOWING!! But yeah the temperatures are dropping so I'm thinkin it'll stay a lot longer this time.

LR

It's been dropping flakes the size of dinner plates for the past couple of hours. We've also got a lot of lightning popping all around. Just had a house fire a couple of blocks from here due to a lightning strike, and I heard something on the scanner about a house or church exploding in Wichita from a lightning strike as I was leaving to come home.

We ended up with about 3-3.5" of snow Saturday morning. In all, the total precip was just under 2", so if it had been winter with the ground temps under 30 and airtemps under 30, we'd have had close to 2 feet of snow! I'll post up a few pics later if I can get my digital camera to work. I think it died on me. The heavy precip made for some awesome mudding yesterday at the lake! I went out in the afternoon as the snow was just all but melted away. Lots of localized flooding meant lots of water crossings in 6+ inches of mud! 8)

haha its kinda funny, im canadian, i am used to that kind of weather :p here in central saskatchewan its not unusual for snow in april, this year we had near a metre and a half of snow everywhere, but its always really windy so it drifts everywhere, makes me think of snowmobiling in powder, now that is fun :D

Back