keep my xj waggy or trade for cj ????

black87yj

ok , found a 1979 304 powered 3 speed cj 7 with a worked over motor and a good glass tub. fairly decent tires and good rims. problem ? wife says one of my "other jeeps would have to go. my mopar powered yj is my baby so i said her liberty....she was not impressed and sugested my 87 waggy (xj) with 220,000 miles on it and a 3 inch lift and a 44 ls rear. the cj needs some cosmetic work of course , but it has a new true dual exhaust and good hard top and door set...no rust on frame and good metal front hood and fenders.
the waggy has no rust at all but is getting tired and leaky. the interiors on both are crappy, and both have good glass all around. :???: i can get the cj foe $1600.00 and i gave $1200.00 for the waggy. some opinions please :0

Personally I like the CJ better than the XJ, but if you've already got a YJ then you probably don't need it.

Unless you want to build the CJ into something, like a rock crawler, or a stock show truck.

Sounds like you have some work to do no matter which way you go. The leaks & maybe some engine work & interior on the XJ,or the cosmetic & interior on the CJ. I think it gets down to the type & amount of work you want to do & what you'd rather end up with.
Terry has a point in that you do have a YJ. Sorry if that's just adding questions to your questions,but that's how I would "think it out". That being said:I'd go with the CJ.

ok ! I bought the cj....you know why...i had to :lol: i still have the yj and xj for now. i actually worked on the cj this past weekend and got her on the road for a couple days now. love it ! If and thats a big if ...i can hang on to all three for the winter i can drive the waggy while i work on the yj. the cj is just basic pretty it up stuff. i'd like to keep it the simple machine it was meant to be. the yj has been thrown together and needs some tlc. it has great potential. the xj is in great shape but does have 225000 miles on it. i'd rather change engines in anything but an xj ! pretty tight fit and alot more work...my boy wants the xj but he has a yj sitting in his back yard that needs engine work already. too many projects for this old man :) for now its drive the waggy to work 3 days and the cj two days and hope to get some time to do an soa on the yj....i'll ponder this some more until my wife makes me decide lol
:shades:

Back