Larger tires but no lift?

SnowNinja

I got my cherokee about 2 months ago, its almost brand new, 9000 miles. one of my close friends has one too, but with a 4.5 lift and 32 inch tires. weve gone off roading several times and i have had not too much of a problem keeping up with him, except for some of the deeper mud. i was considering new tires, bfg all terrains. but i dont think i lift is necessary yet for where i live in michigan. i may consider one a few years down the road but my jeep is so new id rather not do the lift yet. would there be much benefit to getting new tires and wheels? what size would i need?(i want close to the same size, yet a little beefier). -thanks

Without a lift, 235x75r15 is the largest tire you can put on a Cherokee without problems.

Do the lift, you'll regret it otherwise. You need lift and tires for clearance. Bigger tires with stock height will get you only so much. Consider cheaper (but quality) tires like retreads or Kuhmos.

The Kuhmos many on this site SWEAR by. I've heard almost nothing bad about them, and am considering changing over. To read a write up on this tire go here: http://www.off-road.com/jeep/products/kumho/index2.html

The retreads have the same reputation. Bounty Hunter (one of the Mods) says they are great, cheap and have a warranty. Go here: http://www.high-tec-retreading.com/

i've seen the kumho's mingez mentioned in action a few times, and they seemed to handle quite well. my roommate has them, and like mingez mentioned many jeepers on here swear by them.

also consider the dunlop mud rovers. price is the same. tread is a bit deeper on the dunlops (though very minimal). i have also seen them perform, and they seem to be equal, i've got a set on order for my zj right now so i'll let you know what i think when they're all in and mounted.

also, between those two, one might fit better depending on your wheel size. for example, i have 15x8 wheels, and i went with 31x10.5 r15 dunlop mud rovers. and that specific size is rated for a 7-8" wheel. while the same size tire in the kumho's is rated for an 8.5" wheel. i doubt you would have a serious problem with either if the measurement is that close, but there's nothing worse than getting the wrong size tire for your wheels!!

hope that helps, thats what we're here for, so ask away, and welcome to jeepz!!

I just put on a set of Dunlop Mud Rovers 31x10.5 on 51x7 factory rims. I LOVE THESE TIRES! Got them out on the road as it started raining. They were fantastic in the wet stuff, it's like they were glued to the road. I assume due to the deep lugs and wide traed pattern that the displace water well.

I have also heard nothing but GOOD about the Kuhmo's. Lot's of guy swear by them. I persoanlly could not find any locally. If you are a member, try SAM'S club for tires as well. They have pretty sweet deals on offroad tires.

Yokohoma Geolander AT II's...I swear by these tires....NEVER gotten stuck with them, pulled ALOT of people out with them, and the wear has been GREAT so far...........AS far as ride on the street......better than stock tires.

image-missing.png

Like twisted said in another thread. Buy American Please.....

Back