Liberty to YJ 2.8L diesel swap. Possible? Economically viable?

To be honest, if I were in the US, I doubt I would consider a Diesel. Diesels have a big advantage if you have deep rivers in your travel plans, as all you need is a snorkel (you dont have to worry about distributors getting wet or anything like that). Also, in the US it's kind of hard to find the fuel; down here, there is diesel fuel in ALL gas stations, and diesel is actually cheaper than gas, so you get another benefit there as well... Plus, you get a ton of junkyard engines to choose from, which you dont really have there. In your case, go with a V6, V8 or another gas engine. It's just not worth the hassle up north...

Looks like the NV4500 is out, I can't find an NV4500 -> 21-spline NP231-J adapter.

I guess my only other option is the SM465, but that's a 4-spd and I'd rather just go auto at that point.

Try to find a good ax15. Thats a five spped and belhousings are avail through advanced and novak.

Try to find a good ax15. Thats a five spped and belhousings are avail through advanced and novak.

Yeah, but I was kinda wanting something stronger, i.e. something that would give me some wiggle room for a lot more power in the future. A heavy duty trans is what I'm gunning for. I figure, if I'm gonna spend all this money and go to all this trouble, why limit myself? I think I'm go with the 4L60E and just rock an automatic. I really love a stick, but it'd make the swap a lot easier because I wouldn't have to worry about adapters or shifter placement.

I called a local boneyard today and located a '99 GMC truck with a smooth-running 5.7L Vortec and a 4WD 4L60E to match. I can get the engine, harness, PCM, alternator, starter for $1350. Trans and matching TCM for $600. Both have 30,000 miles and are already out of the truck, and from what he said the wiring harness wasn't subject to any hackage. Seems a bit steep, but otherwise, I am thinking I just found my donor :D

Unfortunately they did not have any NV4500's in. And if anyone knows where I can locate an NV4500 -> 21-spline NP231-J adapter please lemme know.

Last edited:
Back