locker question

Tyler Bates

I want to add lockers instead of being welded like mine, but think it is possible that I might want lower gears in the future, so if I add lockers now then in the future want lower gears will that locker work with any gear set I get or will I have to get new lockers with the gears?

Your change over for carrier size is 3;93 and higher to 4;10 and lower. Ring gear thickness and carrier offset change at this point. Once in 4;10 size you can't go back without changing the carrier(I.e. the locker).

Sent from my Android using Jeepz

Your change over for carrier size is 3;93 and higher to 4;10 and lower. Ring gear thickness and carrier offset change at this point. Once in 4;10 size you can't go back without changing the carrier(I.e. the locker).

Sent from my Android using Jeepz

so I have 456 gears now so if I added a locker and went to a lets say 529 later I would have to get a new carrier for this?

No that should be fine. I think the switch is 3.73s for Dana 30s and 35s; anything less (numerically) will have a different weaker carrier than 3.73s and higher (numerically). Different diffs have different change-over numbers of course.

its 3:93 is the change over for Dana 30 and 35's and visa-versa 4:10 on the other side.
Now here is the crux 4:88 is the highest gear ratio a Dana 30 can take.
Now this infor is several years old and there might have been a MFG change since I had to change a Ring and Gear set.

all depends on your axles as well, if you have a 14 bolt with the 3.73:1 and numerically down carrier, if you want to run a taller gears; you can get thick gear set. this does not apply to smaller axles like a D30/35.

if you currently have 4:56, you can run as edep as gears as you can fit in the housing. What axles do you currently have?

its 3:93 is the change over for Dana 30 and 35's and visa-versa 4:10 on the other side.
Now here is the crux 4:88 is the highest gear ratio a Dana 30 can take.
Now this infor is several years old and there might have been a MFG change since I had to change a Ring and Gear set.

From what I can find, the carrier change is 3.73 and up for Dana 30, 3.55 and up for Dana 35.

all depends on your axles as well, if you have a 14 bolt with the 3.73:1 and numerically down carrier, if you want to run a taller gears; you can get thick gear set. this does not apply to smaller axles like a D30/35.

if you currently have 4:56, you can run as edep as gears as you can fit in the housing. What axles do you currently have?

I have Chevy 10th bolt in the rear and a d60 in the front

That has to be a typo, you have a 60 front and a 10 bolt rear, unless your either running blackbird custom D60 6 lug hubs, you must be running two different bolt patterns, chevy never made a stock front D60 with less than 8 lug pattern and they never made a rear 10 bolt with more than 6 lug pattern.

If your axles are from the same truck, I am guessing you have a 10 bolt front and a 12 bolt or 14 bolt rear. you could not get a rear 60 with a 10 bolt front, chevy moved on to the 14 bolt unless it was 2wd and then it could have been either or in the late 70's

That has to be a typo, you have a 60 front and a 10 bolt rear, unless your either running blackbird custom D60 6 lug hubs, you must be running two different bolt patterns, chevy never made a stock front D60 with less than 8 lug pattern and they never made a rear 10 bolt with more than 6 lug pattern.

If your axles are from the same truck, I am guessing you have a 10 bolt front and a 12 bolt or 14 bolt rear. you could not get a rear 60 with a 10 bolt front, chevy moved on to the 14 bolt unless it was 2wd and then it could have been either or in the late 70's

The front is for sure a d60 and the rear I havnt actually checked to see it is 8 lug but has 10 bolts on the rear diff cover I got a steal on them and all i checked was gear ratio and can identify the d60 axles but not familiar on rear Chevy axles

is it a round diff with a third drop out, might be a eaton axle. they made 8 lug front 10 bolts, but no such 8 lug rear axle exhists.

Take a pic.

is it a round diff with a third drop out, might be a eaton axle. they made 8 lug front 10 bolts, but no such 8 lug rear axle exhists.

Take a pic.

I will see if my wife knows how to post pics on here but the diff cover has 10 bolts in it and it is an 8 lug and on the rear

Back