making a CJ5 into a CJ7 question

signgrafix

Has anybody ever lengthened a CJ5 frame into the length of a CJ7? I am going to put a fiberglass body on my frame. I plan on having both the underside and the tub sprayed with a bedliner product, lineX, duraliner etc. Anyway, I have seen several used CJ7 tubs but hardly any CJ5 tubs. Plus, I am 6 ft. tall so the extra leg room would be nice too. My brother is a professional metal fabricator and I would have him do it for me so the cost would be next to nothing and I know it would be a good job. Has anybody done this before? what are the pro's and con's?

I don't think you'd gain any legroom. You'd gain some storage space, though.

If leg room is an issue, you can modify the seat risers to where it would go over the rear tub along with a long seat adjuster.

I've toyed with the idea of making more legroom in my '78 CJ5, the rear tub's not in the way but the rear fenderwell sure is. Been thinking about cutting a wedge out of it and welding on some plate.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't chop up a CJ5 to make a CJ7. I think it would be alot cheaper to just buy a CJ7. I imagine to cost of a fiberglass tub, tailgate, tire carrier, etc would add up pretty quick.

Just Sell your 5 to someone and pickup a nice 7

oops, I just re-read your post, and your brother can help you, so maybe you're on to something.

Have you thought about the opposite - bobbing the CJ7 tub to fit on a 5 frame?

oops, I just re-read your post, and your brother can help you, so maybe you're on to something.

Have you thought about the opposite - bobbing the CJ7 tub to fit on a 5 frame?

No way I would attempt that! Yea it would be no problem for my brother. he could do it in a couple hours.

CJ-7 were wide track CJ-5 were narrow. IMO if you want a CJ look and a better frame and suspension geometry put a CJ front clip onto a YJ frame and tub. Better frame, brakes, better fitting hard and soft tops, etc. Putting a CJ clip on a TJ is a little trickier, there were some tub changes that make it more difficult. Even on a YJ it requires a little tweaking, but not bad.

I DO NOT want to get ride of or buy another frame. I want to keep my current CJ5 78 frame. It was the second auto I ever owned. (I am 45 now) I was just entertaining the thought if I found a good deal on a CJ7 tub, how much trouble would it be to lengthen it. I was hopping to find somebody that had done it to say what they had to go through.

Last edited:
SteelHeadz yep you're right, don't know what I was thinking.
sig... I NEVER criticized your idea and only offered my opinion of another possible solution. No need to get all up tight. After all you did ask for pros and cons. I have stretched my 77CJ-5 and my opinions are what I would do if I were to do it again.

SteelHeadz yep you're right, don't know what I was thinking.
sig... I NEVER criticized your idea and only offered my opinion of another possible solution. No need to get all up tight. After all you did ask for pros and cons. I have stretched my 77CJ-5 and my opinions are what I would do if I were to do it again.

No offense taken here. I just did not want to come back later and the discussion has drifted off of what I asked. I just wanted to make it clear that I wanted to keep what I have. If I can find a CJ5 tub I'll just stick with that but if I run across a good deal on a CJ7 I just want to see what my options are. So, you say you streatched a 5 into a 7 already? If so, did you run into any problems you did not think of?

Actually what I did was stretch my 5 by 20" into a CJ-6. That way I kept the 5 door opening, yet added leg room. The issues I had were mostly due to living in the rust belt, combined with a thin walled frame, requiring extensive boxing and additional cross member in the frame. The frame splicing required the fabrication of a jig to keep things aligned and square. The tub was an aftermarket tub. Other items such as fuel lines were easy, brake lines were completely replaced due to age, wiring and exhaust were spliced, rear driveshaft was lengthened.

yea, It will take more time getting it ready for the frame work that the actual fab work. He said I would have to take everthing off the frame. Then he would set the frame up on his jig table. I would rather just find a good deal on a CJ5 since I would not gain any leg room.

check out pirate's hardcore jeep section, search there for stretched cj. don't post anything about yours though, be forwarned, they will tear you a new arse.

There is more legroom in a 7 than a 5. The seat can go back further before it hits the wheel well. I'm tall and there was a big difference when I was test driving 5s and 7s.

There is more legroom in a 7 than a 5. The seat can go back further before it hits the wheel well. I'm tall and there was a big difference when I was test driving 5s and 7s.
Oh.
Being 5'9", I don't worry about legroom often. In fact, lately I have been craving a Miata or Spitfire.

It has been done, a guy here locally has even done said conversion when I asked him about it his thoughts were: If I had to do it again I would just sale the CJ5 and buy a CJ7. I have a fiberglass CJ7 tub that I originally purchased for my 82 CJ7 that torched before I got to do anything with it. My current CJ has some rust issues and I've thought about swapping the tub on but overall I really have no use for it. I've kicked around the idea of cutting it in half and widening it (fiberglass is easy to work with) and putting it atop a fullsize Bronco chassis I have giving me a fullsize CJ7. Thats a whole lot of work though.

Back