Making Your Own Front/Rear Bumpers

What the difference?

If you want a real simple (and cheap, and strong) rear bumper, buy a 4x4 piece of square iron @ 60 inches long. Cut a little off so it looks like

\_____________/ and bolt it up where the bumperettes go, drill some holes in the bottom and bolt a factory tow bar onto. The walls on mine like this are 1/4" thick so it's REAL sturdy. I also made some plates with a D ring hanger that I bolted to the face of the bumper (ran the bolts through the bumper and to the frame moutned "L" shaped brackets on either side of the frame where the factory tow bar bolted up). Used all grade 8 bolts and you can pick the back of the jeep up off the ground with it (by the D rings), and you can also bash the entire left side of a Honda Accord in without even scratching your sheetmetal (maybe a little motivation for getting the back up lights fixed?). Total cost for iron, getting the corners cut off, grade 8 bolts, about $75 plus whatever the tow hitch costs (you could also bolt a 2" receiver hitch to the bottom of the bumper; that's what I'm gonna do on the wife's jeep). I'm gonna try and post pics so you guys can see the D ring brackets, but gotta get a camera.

image-missing.png

This was the last one I had built. 1/4" x 2" x 4" tubing caped with 1/4" plate and welded up nice a solid with 5/8" thick shackles for the D-Rings. The 1/4" x 2" x 2" chanel nipples cut on a 45 degree were for the highlift to bit into and prevent slipage when in the air. Was also going to add a front trailer hitch under in the center but sold the jeep prior to install. 1/4" tread plat steel on top fro a deck to mount a winch also made a great platform to work off of.

By scrounging around for steel and stuff I was able to build this one for under $150.00, But I have friends in low places if you know what I mean. Tug
Another view!
image-missing.png

nice fab job TUG, that is exactly what i want for my rear bumper. i currently don't have any rear bumper now but plans for fabbing one up are in the works. i don't know how to weld but my g/f's brother in-law, (former CJ owner) is gonna do it with me.

Good luck~ Remember the recovery points, tabs for a highlift and a hitch are great build in items on both ends. Nothing like being off the trail and haveing no place to hook up for a tug. And Hinghlift Safty is a great poit to keep in mind. tug

Header Project ETA Tues 21

I built my bumpers out of 2x4x3/16. shackle mounts and a swing out tire rack . can send you dim. and have extra parts that i machined. e-mail if interested.

Here a couple pictures of the bumpers I just built. They are being powder coated this weekend, I'll get some finished pictures early next week. The mounts are all 3/4" steel bolted straight through the actual bumper to the frame front and rear. The mount run through the 2X4X3/16 steel tubing. I capped the ends with 3/16 x 2

http://members.toast.net/photos/library.asp?user=gaceks

what is the cheapest store.

Very Nice Merlin, I like that work. tug

Back