Manufactured refurbed engine vs. outside party refurbed engine

santiago927

I got some bad news today. I have to replace the engine on my 2002 Grand Cherokee. I've done enough research to know given what the dealership told me, it is accurate. Although I am not thrilled about the labor rate, I feel it is in my best interest to have it done at the dealership for accountability purposes.

But I would like to save some bucks somewhere. The dealership wants $4,700 for the motor. I've found Chrycler refurbed motors for $4,200 plus $225 shipping and $3,600 (plus $800 core charge) plus $225 shipping. Either one is a better deal than the $4,700.

Of course, during my search, non-chrysler refurbed motors also came up. Off the top of my head, a company called Marshall had a refurbed for around $2,600, with the same 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty. Free shipping too.

That's around $1,000 less than the best deal I found online for chrysler refurbed and a full $2,000 less than what the dealer wants. IMO, it's obviously not worth it for me to save $1,000 to end up with $1,000 worth of little problems, fees, headaches, etc. because I didn't go Chrysler refurbed. So I really need the opinions and perspectives of those that have experience and knowledge. I plan on keeping the Jeep for another two years at least, as an auxillary car. It is no longer the main commuter, but will need to be reliable as I will use it on the weekends and some weeknights. But my family does ride in it, so I am keeping the mentality that I will use it a lot (with in reason).

So, what kind of quality difference am I looking at between the two different types of refurbed? I don't remember all of the cicumstances as it was a while ago (who refurbed, who installed), but my mom had an engine replaced in her Shadow a very long time ago, and it was a disaster. The thing was shaking all over, it ran horrible, just an absolute nightmare. I want this to go as smooth as possible (part of why I'm having the dealership do it).

Is it worth the discount in price or should I just bite the bullet, thing long term reliability and go for the Chrysler refurbed.

I really appreciate your opinions. This is some really crappy news, but I'm going to make the most out of it as I really like my Jeep. It has seen me through a lot of trouble, and I'm not ready to give up on it yet. What you can offer to help me make a proper decision is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

First off I think the dealership is never a good idea. Just because its a dealer does not make them any more trustworthy than any Joe shmoe up the street. I speak this from personal experience.
Second. If you are replacing the engine do it right. Go with the Chrysler refurbished for as you said accountability.
Third. If it was me I would go mopar and take it to a trustworthy local shop that does this a lot and make it awesome! Oversize cam, headers and anything else I could afford at said time of replacement. You will save a lot by not going to a dealership.
Good luck.

A quality rebuilt engine can be as good, and in many cases better, than a new factory engine.

Remember, the Jeep you're putting the engine into is already 10 years old, so does it make sense to put a young engine into an old body (at considerable cost)?

With the factory engine, you won't get any performance upgrades that you want, but with a rebuilt engine, you could have those added on and still be less cost than the factory fresh engine.

Regarding Dealer mechanics...some are good, some are not. The same goes for private shops. Keep in mind, very few private shops have the huge overhead of the Dealer, and that means you can save money by going private. The key is to pick a reputable shop, be it a dealer or private. My suggestion would be to find a shop that's clean and has been in business for at least a few years. Mechanics that take pride in their shop seem, in my experience, to take pride in their work.

Lastly, the warranty on most replacement engines (new or rebuilt) is on the engine itself, and not on the installation. So make sure you get an installation warranty whether or not you go new or rebuilt.

There's a reason they're called "stealerships". Unless it's a warranty issue, I personally would stay away from the dealership. Find a shop you trust....you'll be better off.

Thank you for the responses, I might just go with a private mechanic.

Thanks to all who responded.

the only thing i use the dealership for is part numbers. anytime i need something i call the jeep dealership to get the number and then i go online to see where i can get it cheaper.

i know it's an old thread. but for the sake of those doing searches on the topic, i'll put in a suggestion to check out a crated stroker engine. fits in there just like a stocker, performs much better than you've dreamed, and will last longer depending on who builds it, and with what options. google hesco in alabama if you're a little lost on this.

Since the thread is alive again, were you happy with the engine swap Santiago?

Yes, she's been doing great since the swap. I eventually found the engine at a dealership in Ohio and even with freight to NY, I saved over a $1,000 on the OEM refurb. So I saved some money in the end.

I have some other work to do on it (non engine related), but she drives great. It's nice to have my Jeep back.

Back