Moving up to 4inch lift

Sly8795

So right now I have 3 inches of lift. I'm looking at adding some spacers up front and a block in the back to get an extra inch of lift so I can upgrade to 33's. Does anyone know if I need an SYE for this. I see its recommended for anything 4 inches or higher. can I get away without one as they seem to be around 200 bucks. is there anything else I should keep in mind when moving up to 4 inches?

You shouldn't need one on a '90 XJ, they weren't real necessary until '97 when they needed a SYE or TC drop for any amount of lift.

You can also use shackles to get the rear lift, either aftermarket or MJ shackles.

Are there any strength or rear axle movement problems I need to worry about if I decide to use shackles instead of a 1 inch block.

Would it be better to actually get rear leaf springs (not add a leaf) that create the 4 inches?

Shackles will allow for less axelwrap than lift blocks, so springs will last a little longer.

Replacement spring packs are probably the best method of lifting the rear, it will be a little stiffer but the springs will last longer than stock springs.

Well I took a look at the prices of new spring packs and for one inch of lift I don't feel like paying 200-500 bucks.

At this point I'm leaning towards just buying 1 inch steel blocks.

If I went with shackles are there any concerns that they would break?

Generally no. They are not a weak link. Blocks on the other hand, if not properly made and installed, can crack and/or spit out. They also increase axlewrap.

Ok, I think I will look into installing the shackles.

As for the front end I was just going to get the correct size washers from a hardward store and use them to create my extra one inch of lift up front. As anyone tried that before?

The rubber donuts from the hardware store fit, but don't last. Look for a pair of stock coil isolators, they run almost .75" thick. Some places sell 1" spacers I believe.

Thats why I'm going with large washers to build exactly an inch. I looked at spacers but the ones I saw didn't seem to be made out of strong materials, I'm also going for a cheap upgrade. My buddy used hockey pucks on his exploer but I think the washers will work just fine.

So I found a write up here for creating the coil spring spacers
XJ Coil Spacer Lift

The spring connects to the bump stop. When i take the spring off does the thing the spring connects to at the top also fall out? How is this held in?\

I have circled the part I am talking about in the picture. You will notice that they put the new spring spacer above the bump stop/coil spring holder. I already have a sky jacker lift should this be the same or is the only way to find out to take the spring off?

Attachments

• Springs.JPG
    Springs.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 180

Ok so apparently I attached the pic. Anyone have a tip on how to get it so it displays in the post?

Back